Thursday, January 31, 2019

Blog All About It: First

I was thinking what would be a great idea for this theme...I've seen quite a few fellow bloggers talk about their bloggiversarys and I've never really done that. Maybe once or twice over the time I've been blogging. But I thought it would be a fun trip down memory lane to look back at my very first blog post!

My Love of Language

Source: University of Florida Linguistics department
Isn't it amazing??!! Language! It's how we communicate with the world! We are the only species on the planet that are able to manipulate language, to think for ourselves. Every day we speak and think sentences that have never been thought of before or even spoken. Look at how we learn our first language; it seems so flawless. I wish we could all learn a second language like we learned our first! There are over 6,000 languages in the world and all of them different and unique.
I earned a degree in Linguistics due my love of language and thought that I would share some thoughts on language in my life and in the world at large. I will include references to check as well when I need to!
I learned Spanish when I spent about 18 months in Spain and the Canary Islands and when I returned home I decided to keep on studying it at school. One of the classes I elected to take was Introduction to Linguistics. I loved it! It was an amazing class and taught me so much about how language influences our lives. And thus began my studies and love of language (I ended up getting my degree in both Spanish and Linguistics). Not that I actually use these degrees at the moment...I may eventually get my Master's in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) at the college level for adults. But since I still love it and am not in school anymore these blog entries will help me keep up on language and refresh what I've already learned! I hope you enjoy!


I posted this on May 5, 2009. Ta da! My official bloggiversary. I didn't even know. I had graduated from college two years earlier with my Linguistics degree still pretty fresh in my head. I definitely weaned off the language aspect and ended up with a book blog. But I'm ok with that. I still would like to share some interesting tidbits of language news. I also am still contemplating getting a Master's in TESOL but I honestly don't know yet!

It's been fun remembering my love of Linguistics and languages in general. I should really plan some more posts around that. Thanks for taking a ride through memory lane with me.

*part of the Blog All About It challenge

8 comments:

  1. Cool. Fun to take trips down memory lane on the blog. I love the past events held.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't posted about my blogaversary either, but I've wanted to. I think you and I started around the same time. Happy Blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little jealous your first post holds up so well! Perhaps I'm just not objective, but I feel embarrassed by the quality of my original posts. I like how I write reviews now much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat. And, Happy 'Almost' Tenth Anniversary. Just wow. I love that you are still working at the TESOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use of the prompt! Congratulations on coming so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never remember blogiversarys but I think it's awesome to look back on the early posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! It's always fun looking back at those early posts and seeing how blogs change and grow over time. And amazing to find something in life that sparks your soul like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.