Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp

Goodreads Summary:

Jack Sparks died while writing this book. This is the account of his final days.

In 2014, Jack Sparks - the controversial pop culture journalist - died in mysterious circumstances.

To his fans, Jack was a fearless rebel; to his detractors, he was a talentless hack. Either way, his death came as a shock to everyone.

It was no secret that Jack had been researching the occult for his new book. He'd already triggered a furious Twitter storm by mocking an exorcism he witnessed in rural Italy.

Then there was that video: thirty-six seconds of chilling footage that Jack repeatedly claimed was not of his making, yet was posted from his own YouTube account.

Nobody knew what happened to Jack in the days that followed - until now. This book, compiled from the files found after his death, reveals the chilling details of Jack's final hours.
 

What I liked:


  • This was very creepy and I had at least one bad dream. Once again I read this mostly at night in a hotel room with only a headlamp...so that could have something to do with it!
  • I liked the take on demon possession. It was way creepier than the Exorcist.
  • Also funny. Jack was a horrible person but he made me laugh.
  • I enjoyed the style of the book. The book is put together after his death by his brother and he adds in emails and transcripts and letter from other characters so we get two different takes--Jack Sparks' and what really happened.
  • He's an unreliable narrator. Is he telling the truth? Has he gone mad
What I didn't like:

  • The skeptical part of Jack's character was highly cliched. He wasn't believable.
  • But once again he's an unreliable narrator so maybe that's the point?
Overall this was a fun book to read. It's different from anything I've read before and it was super creepy. I look forward to more from him.

1 comment:

  1. I like that your bad dream was in the "liked" category. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.