Saturday, August 1, 2020

Week-in-Review: July

It's been a tough couple of weeks but things are looking up. Our sweet kittie Nala got really sick; we even had to take her up to the emergency vet. But it looks like her tonsils got infected with some extra tartar buildup. We already had an appointment to get her teeth cleaned and it seems to have done the trick. She is acting like her normal self now!

2020-07-25 21.45.08

Things are so different under a pandemic. We couldn't go into the building. We had a numbered stall we pulled into and called and checked her in from our car. After they took her in the building (the tech was gloved and masked and we were too), we waited in our car for three hours till they brought her back out. We never saw the vet who checked her out but talked with her on the phone. It's surreal.

Now that it looks like she's recovering we've finally made a plan to travel a few hours south and enjoy a couple nights away next weekend. It'll be good for us!

Three Good Things:

1. Nala is feeling better! I'm now sleeping a bit better and hoping next week I can finally feel a bit more normal.

2. NBA has restarted! The Utah Jazz won their first game by two and are set to play again in just a few minutes. This isn't the Jazz game but it's the Lakers and Clippers right after and I realized it would be a good idea to take a quick pic or two. All the players from both teams are kneeling during the anthem. It was a really powerful display on behalf of Black Lives Matter. Loved it

2020-07-30 19.18.59

2020-07-30 19.18.53

2020-07-30 19.18.43

3. It was my oldest brother's birthday last week so we were able to do a socially distanced visit and give him a card and sing. We also ate dinner on the weekend at the park with our friends. Gabe and my friend's son were able to chit-chat and catch up. It's the little things you gotta look forward to.

Reading:

I have finished Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, The Mothers by Brit Bennett, The Oracle Code by Marieke Nijkamp, and No Cats Allowed by Miranda James.

I'm still reading What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John McWhorter, How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi,  Stamped From the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi, Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr., and with Gabe I'm reading the third book in the His Dark Materials series The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I'm also listening to Braiding Sweet Grass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. I had a hard time reading last week so I started a couple of others. I'll get through all of these one day! Ha!

I'm planning on starting The Shadows by Alex North who wrote The Whispering Man last year and I really enjoyed it. Creepy and I need a little fun horror right now.

Watching: 

Movies:


I caught up on some horror this weekend and last weekend with the third movie in the Baztan trilogy on Netflix The Offering to the Storm and The Rental directed by Dave Franco.

TV:
I watched the docuseries on Netflix Athlete A about the abuse by Larry Nassar against young girls. Awful. I watched Little Fires Everywhere and Looking for Alaska on Hulu. I did not like the book Little Fires Everywhere but I thought the TV series was well done. The overall storyline I didn't buy but I liked the themes. Little Fires shows how color blindness doesn't work and how detrimental it can be. Looking for Alaska could have been a 4 or 5 hour series rather than 8 but I always enjoyed the book and its topics of death and grief.
Perry Mason on HBO has been pretty good. I've been enjoying the escape. TNT's The Alienist is also a great historical crime drama. It's gritty and violent and if you like that this is one for you! The second season is just as good as the first.

This week: I'm hoping I can get going again with some classes and other online learning. I took a couple of weeks off to deal with my kitty. We have some cleaning goals to get the basement cleaned up.

Looking forward to heading out of town for a couple of days next weekend. It's also Lammas today.
It's name comes from the Latin for Loaf Mass Day. But it was taken from the pagans to celebrate the first fruits and grains of the season. We will celebrate this week instead of today. I plan on making root veggies and chicken and baking some bread. We'll probably get our fire pit out and burn some sage we've harvested.
Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon


16 comments:

  1. Your book list is really impressive! I have only read some magazine articles by McWorter, really should read the books you mentioned. I wish your kitten a continued recovery!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McWhorter's my favorite down-to-earth Linguist. He has some great insight into languages that I enjoy hearing about. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh that's scary about Nala. I'm so glad she's better now. Gosh that can be alarming. It's weird never to even see the vet ... that's like how ours is too, have to deal with the whole thing from the car. You finished some good books lately. I just finished the James Baldwin documentary ... powerful... and hard to imagine all the same brutality is still going so many decades later. Made me feel ill. Hope your travels will be really great .... in a way it is freeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll need to take her in again for another set of antibiotics. She's been going down again slowly. I hope the antibiotics take care of it. It is so scary. Glad you enjoyed the Baldwin documentary. Even though it is tough to watch.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy that Nala is ok! How stressful, her being sick and the surreal experience at the vet. And I'm so glad that you are venturing out of town. We're not quite that brave yet, but I look forward to the day. Surprisingly, Jason is being way more adamant about taking zero risk. I had to convince him to take Gage to one of our best friend's homes last week for swimming! But, right now our area is a hot spot so we're still in the careful zone.
    I need to know more about the Batzan trilogy. Whenever we snipe about what to watch we always end up in the horror zone so I need good suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been doing a bit worse over the weekend so we'll have to take her back in for some more antibiotics on Monday. It's so scary. but hopefully the next dose will take care of it all! I'm nervous but we're staying in-state and we'll have our own private cabin and we'll just hunker down and enjoy the views and eat our own food. So hopefully it'll be safe!

      Check out Netflix and watch the first in the Baztan trilogy. It may be your cup of tea? I don't know. I hate the plot but it's just so intriguing and the setting is beautiful...I just had to keep watching! Ha. Devil's Gate is on Netflix and it's also an interesting horror/mystery.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you were able to get your cat treated, but how strange it must have been to have had to take her to the vet in that way. I called into the doctor when I first got my cough and he prescribed an antibiotic over the phone. I still have the cough four months later. Too spooked to visit the doctor.

    Glad, too, you are going to be able to get out of town for a few days. We talked yesterday about going up to my dad's place in East Texas, just to get away for a bit. We are too nervous to do that right now, though.

    I'd like to hear more about your online learning when you get back to it.

    You've read lots of books that I am interested in reading, including Giovanni's Room (I think I'll read it next year for Paris in July) and The Mothers and Braiding Sweet Grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still recovering but hopefully we can get more antibiotics in her and cure it all up for sure this week! I had my first televisit with my doctor a few weeks ago to refill one of my prescriptions. It's a very different experience.

      The place we're going is just a few hours away and very isolated so I'm hoping we'll be OK. We haven't really left the house in 5 months so we need a little break!

      I got a subscription to Great Courses Plus and my library subscribes to Lynda which has a ton of coding classes. I've been learning more stuff on Linguistics and gardening and coding.

      I think Giovanni's Room would be a perfect book for Paris in July! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. One of my friends loved Giovanni's Room. I haven't read it myself yet. I was the exact opposite with Little Fires Everywhere. I loved the book, but struggle to get into the series. The sense of self righteousness is much more prominent in the tv series.

    My one kitty is also not well, if not better - I will also have to brace to vet-outing tomorrow. But glad Nala is better!

    Hope you will have a good week, here's my The Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to Giovanni's Room soon. It's a good one.

      I think that's the problem I had with Little Fires was the forced plot. Too many things happening to the same group of people. It's soap opera trying to say something. I'd rather have one or two plotlines and still say something. It was a little over the top for me. But I liked what it was trying to say. I could get into it better watching the TV series cuz I love those actors so much.

      I hope your kitty feels better soon too! It's so tough to have sick pets. We can't ask them where it hurts and when it started so we feel so helpless. Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  6. So glad your were able to resolve Nala's issues. It's a difficult time to need medical assistance with all the precautions necessary. Enjoy your time away next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they get resolved this week. She was doing really well but has started acting up again this weekend so I'm hoping to get her in Monday for another dose of antibiotics to make sure everything gets cleared up.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad Nala is feeling better. So scary when they get sick. I watched a couple of episodes of the new Perry Mason show and I'm undecided. I have to watch some more. The Alienist is another show I want to watch. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the Alienist. I'm really liking the second season even more that the first. Perry Mason is different than I expected but it's entertaining so I'm sticking it out. Have a great week too!

      Delete
  8. We are heading out of town, too, hoping to stay away from the coronavirus en route. Stay safe. Glad to hear that kitty is improving. Please join me for some good news of the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your path is clear as well when you get out of town! Stay safe as well!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.