Friday, July 24, 2020

Mid-year Faves

Looks like it's that time of year where everyone posts about their faves so far. I usually haven't done that but this year seems like a good year to start. Especially in the midst of world-wide pandemic and social unrest, it seems right to take an accounting halfway through the year... I feel like this year has a whole decade packed into it. I sometimes feel like I've aged that much over the last six months...

I've actually read more this year than last year at this time... it was slow-going during the initial shut-down back in March and April but I've found a groove.

I've read 54 books so far with 29 from male authors, 24 female, and 1 gender non-conforming author.

21 were non-fiction, with 31 being fiction.

20 of my reads were by non-white authors.

I gravitated towards a few pandemic books in April and May. Memoirs are still a favorite, mysteries, and horror, and juvenile fiction and young adult are always at the top. I read a lot with my son so I get those middle grade books read as well.

Mid-year Faves

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei
I read this one out loud with my son and it was poignant and informative. This should be a must-read in schools.

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey
This is part of the Expanse series. Excellent.

In the Dream House: A Memoir by Carmen Maria Machado
A harrowing story of abuse. But the way she tells it is unlike any memoir I've read before.

Pet by Akwaeke Emezi
Fantastic story. A truly unique storyline and characters.

I read this one along with my son. We both loved this story on Black folklore and African mythology. I love that Rick Riordan is sponsoring authors to write about the myths and stories they grew up with so a whole new audience can enjoy.

Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators by Ronan Farrow
This was a rough book to read. But so important. Farrow is a fantastic storyteller.

It was very surreal to read this during the early stages of the pandemic...it's a must-read.

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
If you grew up in the 80s, this one is for you! Or even if you just enjoy a humorous horror with a new take on demon possession. Loved it!

There were some new ideas I did not know and I'm a linguistics major who took history of the English language in college. It was fascinating!

All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson
I loved this memoir on Johnson's experience of being a gay black man. He especially writes for other gay boys and gives some good sex advice. It's another must-read. 

New Kid by Jerry Craft
This is an excellent graphic novel on a black kid's experience in a mostly white private school. My son and I were able to have great discussions about racism and microaggressions.

Our Time Is Now: Power, Purpose, and the Fight for a Fair America by Stacey Abrams
Yes to Stacey Abrams. She gives us a rundown of voter suppression, past and present and what we need to do to get a fair America. She has my vote.

Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke
I love everything by Attica Locke. Her writing is gorgeous and her characters are real. She writes thinky crime/mystery books. The best kind.

4 comments:

  1. Nice list here. Wow your reading numbers are up. I'm a bit wondering what Stacey Abrams will do next ... it would've been great if she had won the Governor's race for Georgia. So close! ... from that guy who's got his head in the sand about wearing masks. What a waste. I heard that the Spillover author is writing a new book ... this time about Covid. I think I'm a bit pandemic'd out at this point .... but if we ever get over this ... it'll be a good book to study. take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad that she actually probably lost because many of the people who voted for her, their votes ended up not counting or were suppressed in other ways. I've heard as well he's writing a book on Covid. I'll be looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. Such weird timing! I was just looking at They Called Us the Enemy, a book I've had checked out of the library forever. I'm definitely going to use it for homeschool. How long did it take for you to read to Gabe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a super long book. I'd say a couple of weeks or so. But Archie and I switch up reading each night so it may have taken less. It's a great one for discussion and the illustrations are spot on. I hope you both enjoy it and learn a lot with it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.