Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week In Review: It's August?!

 I'm not sure where the time is going? Living in a pandemic warps time and we're all feeling it so somehow it seems even more pronounced than usual. Summer is usually marked off by how we got out of the house and had some fun. We usually visit our friends in Washington for a week or so in July. June is still warming up from spring so we can get a lot more outside time in. It's my birthday so we usually have some fun that weekend. Gabe usually has a physical summer camp or two. August ends up being pretty hot so we usually do a camping trip with some friends towards the end of the month and sometimes in September. In between all of that we usually get some hikes in with friends. Brunch usually happens once a month with friends. Outdoor neighborhood barbecues usually happen a couple times each month. And throw in some museums, bowling, and movie outings, swimming trips, summer is usually full of fun and entertainment. Usually is the keyword. We didn't quite get that this summer...

We had planned on one outing for this weekend but with the continual illness of our cat Nala we weren't able to. She's been having seizures and we finally got her on some anti-seizure medication a few days ago and not one since Thursday morning! We're taking it day by day with a recheck and assessment in September. We are hoping we can figure out a cause. Because if it's actually a form of epilepsy, she will be on those pills for the rest of her life, which makes leaving for any great length of time impossible. Right now we can handle it. But I'm hoping it's only temporary.

So this has been an unusual summer. I'm trying to look for things to look forward to for our little family. We plan game and move nights. I prepare extra special meals from time to time. We may even try for an arts and crafts fair that is happening each Saturday up north. 

And now it's time to start school...we've opted for online only this year. It starts a week from Tuesday. While I don't feel my state has done enough to combat the virus, I truly feel that his school has been doing their best to be accessible with how everyone feels comfortable. Plus our numbers are going down since more people are wearing masks and taking it seriously (though, not enough).

This is all to say that we have not been doing our usual this summer. Getting outside has been a lot harder this summer. I miss the hikes and camping trips and getting out into nature. So we just make do the best we can. 


2020-08-04 15.06.02
This is what we've been doing inside...forts, foxes, and boxes


2020-08-06 14.16.08-1
My cat was sitting on the back of the couch with the sun coming through and I decided the shadow play was appropriate. I'm hurting for pics around this time...ha!

Three Good Things:

1. Nala is actually feeling better since we figured out she has been having seizures and she is on anti-seizure medicine and no seizures now for two whole days!

2.  We celebrated Lammas/Lughnadsah/First Harvest this weekend. I made some no-knead bread, ate chicken and veggie kebabs, and fruit kebabs. We plan on having a fire pit celebration soon depending on the weather and burning our dried sage and giving thanks for the first harvest of the season.

3. I got out of the house this morning. It was cool and quiet. I needed to drop of my library books and I got a breakfast sandwich and a latte to go. Just what I needed.

Reading:

I finished The Shadows by Alex North and Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker.


I'm still reading What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John McWhorter, How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi,  Stamped From the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi, Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr., and with Gabe I'm reading the third book in the His Dark Materials series The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I'm also listening to Braiding Sweet Grass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. I had a hard time reading last week so I started a couple of others. I'll get through all of these one day! Ha!

Still reading those above! I also started Devolution: Firsthand Account of the Ranier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks

Watching: 

Movies:


I watched You Should Have Left with Kevin Bacon. Not bad at all. A little hokey the last third but a satisfying ending. I rented this on demand with Vudu.

TV:                                              

I'll be finishing up Perry Mason on HBO this week and TNT's The Alienist. I also watched the entire first season of The Babysitter's Club on Netflix. It's a kids show with a G rating but I was so impressed with how they handled really tough and sensitive subjects. I think it's a must-watch for kids and their parents. Astounding.

This week: I've got plans to get Gabe ready for back-to-school. His school is hosting a virtual back-to-school night on Thursday. I'm also hoping to get some of my classes going again.

Looking forward to a hike! As long as Nala stays stable, we plan on heading out for an early morning hike on Thursday or Friday this week. Fingers are crossed.

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon

12 comments:

  1. This summer has been dramatically less social for you. For me, too. I miss that so much. I think you do, too.

    I'm glad you are feeling good about the preparations the educators have made for school. I hope all goes well for you.

    I want to look for Begin Again. It sounds like a book I'd like to read.

    I hope your cat continues to do well with the medicine and that you get to go on your hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird how we account for our time and what helps us keep that balance and sense of progress and reflection.

      I'm almost done with Begin Again and it's a great book for our current times.

      Delete
  2. Pandemic living has certainly curtailed alot of plans. I'm glad to hear Nala is feeling better. I hope it continues. I have a few episodes of Perry Mason on my DVR to watch. I thought the first two episodes were kind of slow but I've heard it gets better. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perry Mason is definitely a bit different especially compared to the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr. But it's entertaining and enjoyable. I hope it picks up for you soon!

      Delete
  3. This pandemic does make the passing of time feel different, can't say I like it.

    It's good to hear your cat is doing better, that must have been a stressful time as well.

    I didn't know there was a second season of The Alienist, I quite liked the first one, so I will check it out.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the second season even better for the Alienist. I hope you like it too! It just finished up Sunday.

      Pandemic time is not my favorite. Hopefully I can still tweak it all and figure it out soon with school starting next week! Yikes...

      Delete
  4. I hope that Nala continues to be seizure free. That is so scary. I hope it turns out to be something temporary and easy to fix. I feel like we were holed up all summer too, trying to make the most of it, but I know we could have probably done more somehow. School started today for my daughter--we're straight online too. Fingers crossed the school year goes well!

    I have a copy of Mooncakes and need to read it. I hope you are enjoyed it! I'm enjoying How to Be an Antiracist, but it's slow going. I am reading it in small chunks. I hope you are enjoying your reading! My daughter really enjoyed The Babysitter's Club show.

    I hope you have a great week! Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope school goes well for you and your daughter! What a weird time life is right now. I hope Nala is a short-term fix and not something permanent. One day at a time on that one...

      I hope you enjoy Mooncakes. It's a great supernatural romance. Just what I needed right now.

      I feel kind of silly watching a show for tweens but it was positive and hopeful and it was the light I needed last weekend. Glad your daughter is enjoying it!

      Delete
  5. I love the picture of your cat or rather shadow of your cat! I’ve never read any of the Babysitter’s Club but my daughters have been watching the show and love it.

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your daughters are enjoying Babysitter's Club. I feel kind of silly watching it by myself but it was just the light and optimism I needed last weekend! I will feel no shame! Ha!

      Delete
  6. How is Nala doing now? Gosh I hope she remains seizure free. It's really hot here ... so I can only imagine what it is there. Hope you can get out early for some hikes this week. We're headed to the Ocean on Sunday which should feel great ... before I leave Calif. on Monday. It's been good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's doing better! We're just unsure what is causing her seizures and whether or not we will be giving her anti-seizure meds for life. That is something we'll worry about next month! One thing at a time right now.

      We did get out! We just got back from a beautiful hike. Glad you were able to visit California and I hope you made it back safe and healthy!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.