Friday, December 21, 2018

A Month of Faves-- Favorite Shows and/or Movies of the Year



A Month of Faves is hosted by Girlxoxo, Traveling with T, and Estella's Revenge. Today's theme is what were your favorite TV shows and/or movies this year? How many were book adaptations?

TV Shows


1. Haunting of Hill House--Netflix based on Shirley Jackson's book. It was scary an fascinating and nothing like the book but I didn't mind at all. It also had something to say about grief and how it continues to affect us.

2. Sharp Objects-- HBO based on Gillian Flynn's book. It was gritty and dark and sinister. Amy Adams was phenomenal.

3. Bodyguard-- Netflix. I binge-watched this in two days. Great drama and action. Top-notch British series.

4. Insecure-- HBO. I just can't get enough of Issa Rae.

5. Westworld-- HBO. There were definite problems I had with it but I'm hooked and can't wait for the next season.

6. The Alienist-- TNT. Based on the book by Caleb Carr. It wasn't over the top and the acting was top-notch.

7. The Staircase-- Netflix. I still have no idea. But what a ride.

8. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina-- Netflix. It was creepy and fun.

Movies

This list is all over the map! But each of these spoke to me and have stuck with me.


1. Kedi-- A beautifully filmed documentary on the cats of Budapest. A definite highlight of the year for me. Click on the link for more info.

2. Wonder-- based on the book by R.J. Palacio. The book was so well-written and while I still think the book is superior, the movie was still a tear-jerker. G and I had some good conversations after reading and watching the movie together.

3. Black Panther-- It was fresh and fantastical and beautiful. I loved every minute. And finally a villain with logic and a heart-breaking story.

4. A Quiet Place-- While some of the plot devices bugged me, this was such a breath of terrifying fresh air.

5. Colossal-- It did not go where I thought it would go and I loved that. It was quirky and dark and unexpected. Loved it.

6. Call Me By Your Name-- Italy and romance. It was what I needed.

7. Love, Simon-- based on the book by Becky Albertalli. Loved the book but the movie was really well done. A great coming-of-age story.

8. The Incredibles 2-- Best kids movie this year. I loved seeing the Incredibles back in action.

9. Unsane-- Wow. This was horrifying but so well done. I can't recommend it enough. Scared me something awful and still have nightmares.

10. My Cousin Rachel-- based on the novel by Daphne Du Maurier. I have not read the book but I want to after seeing this adaption with Rachel Weisz. Du Maurier know how to write complex women. This one is a nail-biter.

11. Sorry to Bother You-- I haven't seen one quite like this but wow. The satire and commentary on race and capitalism is done so well. One of the best of the year.

12. Game Night-- I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was a surprising win for me. I wasn't expecting much and boom! So good.


10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this list! I mostly watch tv series, and I'm pretty much going to watch everything you recommended - I'm already all over Insevure - love it too!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insecure is just soooo good! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I almost talked about TV but figured it would take me too long haha. LOVE Insecure. I wish the seasons were 13 episodes instead of 8. And I totally agree re: Black Panther and Incredibles 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful list! I LOVED Wonder, Black Panther, Sabrina and Hill House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some good ones, for sure, this year!

      Delete
  4. I have my first Shirley Jackson novel on my TBR after seeing her name pop up everywhere this year. And now I want to see "Love, Simon." I LOVED the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley Jackson is fantastic. I enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle, especially. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do. Love, Simon was a great adaptation to the book.

      Delete
  5. Great list! I realy want to start Haunting of Hill House but right now I'm 3 episodes into The Sinner, so maybe after. Wonder was on my favorite list last year and A Quiet Place this year. I need to see My Cousin Rachel. Rachel Weisz is the main reason we went to see The Favourite last weekend. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Rachel and My Cousin Rachel really blew me away. Did you enjoy The Sinner? I hope you get to finish off The Haunting of Hill House!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.