Monday, November 12, 2018

Week-in-Review--Halloween

I can't believe Halloween has already come and gone. When you're on vacation for a week, you're kind of in a time warp. You pop back home and you realize, yikes! Halloween is next week...It took me a bit to get over the vacation having gotten shingles, then a sinus infection and then migraines...but I'm feeling better and hoping to enjoy the rest of November...which is now almost two weeks in! What?!Thanksgiving is in less than two weeks...

And I voted! We had to go in early since our mail-in ballots did not arrive. We took the time and made our voices heard...and we got the sticker!

Here are a few pics from Halloween and such over the last couple of weeks.

2018-10-30 12.36.31
My congressional race is still undecided! It's been a nailbiter!


2018-10-30 18.03.10
DH's work had a booth or treat in his building. We all had a great time seeing the displays and costumes.


2018-10-31 07.28.14-1
Happy Halloween, Black Kitty, the cutest kitty ever!



2018-10-31 18.13.41
The neighborhood kids's costumes.


2018-10-31 21.24.30
That's me in the background, the creepy nun! 


2018-11-01 09.25.12
We found this little guy Halloween night but thankfully found his owners the next morning! Whew!


2018-11-11 09.31.37-1
Shadow basking in the sun Sunday morning.


Books Finished: 

Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cartero, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, and An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green.

Books I'm Currently Reading:

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl, More Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World by Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz (reading with G), Pride: A Pride and Prejudice Remix by Ibi Zoboi, and These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore.

Books Acquired: 

Winter Loon: A novel by Susan Bernhard (kindle), The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (kindle), Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money by Nathaniel Popper (kindle), Twain's Feast by Nick Offerman (Audible), Stephen Fry's Victorian Secrets: An Audible Original by Stephen Fry (Audible), My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (kindle), Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff (kindle), At Day's Close: Night in Times Past by Roger Ekirch (kindle), Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-to Book by Dan Harris, Jeffrey Warren, and Carlye Adler (kindle), The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson (kindle), College Unbound: The Future of Higher Education and What it Means for Students by Jeffrey J. Salingo (kindle), Dark, Rich & Creamy by H.Y. Hanna (kindle), The Written Word: The Power of Stories to Shape People, History, and Civilizations by Martin Puchner (kindle), Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History by Keith O'Brien (kindle), We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Complicated, Funny, and True by Gabrielle Union (kindle).

Listening to: 

Emma: An Audible Original Drama by Jane Austen. There's something about November that makes me want to read non-fiction and all-things Austen!

I just finished up Halloween Unmasked that reported on the history of the making of the original Halloween movie and they talked about the culture surrounding it, John Carpenter's history and how he got into movies and why and how he make Halloween. They talk about the slasher movies that came after and why they copied Halloween. What made Halloween so different when it came out? And the new Halloween movie. The interview Jamie Lee Curtis, John Carpenter, fans, and others who've worked on the movies on and off over the years. It was a great 8 episode listen. So if you enjoy scary movies and Halloween in particular this one's for you!

Watching: 

I finished up Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I loved it! I can't wait for season two and I hope that happens because Netflix and WB are being sued over the intellectual property of The Satanic Temple's depiction of the deity Baphomet.

G and I are binge-watching the Harry Potter movies! We should be all done by Thanksgiving weekend!

Wildling (2018): An IFC Midnight horror starring Liv Tyler and that Wormwood guy from the Lord of the Ring movies. An interesting concept but it didn't have a lot of logical sense to it so I didn't love it.

Making: 

I made chicken noodle soup last night and plan on making more chili this week since we didn't get enough leftovers Halloween! I hope to make some cookies this weekend as well and get started on all things holiday baking.

Looking Forward to:

The weekend! Then there will only be two days of school for G and our long Thanksgiving holiday will begin!

6 comments:

  1. Lots of wonderful things happening with you. Fun Halloween pics :-) I have Sabrina on my want to watch list. Curious to hear what you think of Pride. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished Pride and I liked it! It wasn't wonderful but it was fun and just what I needed.

      Delete
  2. Aww what fun! I can't believe Halloween has come and gone already! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I love Halloween too and it's gone too soon.

      Delete
  3. Shingles, sinus infection AND migraines? Yikes! I'm glad that you are healed. Love the creepy nun and cute cat costumes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.