Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 End-of-year Book Stats

I'm really behind. It's been nothing but sickness and recovery here at my house for two weeks. I'm in the middle of it but this morning I saw a bit of light and clearing of the sinus head goo so I'm going to take advantage of it and try to count up books and think about faves!

According to Goodreads, I completed 76 books this year.

15 were young adult or middle grade books. 9 were children's books. My favorites were the Zooey and Sassafras series by Asia Citro, The Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz, and all-time favorite young adult book this year was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.

31 were nonfiction. My favorite memoir of the year has to be between Roxane Gay's Hunger and Sherman Alexie's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me. Both thought-provoking, tragic, and beautiful. 19 of those nonfiction were memoirs of some sort! I like those, apparently!

For classics I read To Kill a Mockingbird , The Handmaid's Tale, and Murder on the Orient Express.

I read a lot of horror around September and October; 10, with The Last Days of Jack Sparks being my favorite horror read of the year.

My favorite science book of the year was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It was fascinating science and a fascinating story behind Henrietta Lacks and the trauma that her family has felt through generations. She packs a lot of ideas into a coherent whole.

Shortest book: Zooey and Sassafras at 96 pages.

Longest book: It by Stephen King at 1478 pages! It took me over 4 months to read that one!

I read a lot more this year! But I found I didn't record as much at the beginning. I really started hitting Goodreads and blogging hard after G started school in September and have been making this my end of the year goals.

Top 5 books of the year:


1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


2. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


3. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie


4. Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay


5. H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald

I guess I needed to share the pain with others this year since I read a lot of memoirs about hard experiences, grief, and pain.

I have a couple of reading challenges this year plus the Classics challenge. I only read 3 out of 10 this year so I need to crank it up for 2018! I may join one more to help me read the books I own!

Here's to another great reading year!


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great reading year. I hope 2018 is a good one for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, IT was my longest book read too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a great reading year! The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was a favorite a few years ago and I enjoyed The Hate U Give this year. Added Hunger to my list after reading her essay collection, Bad Feminist. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading Bad Feminist I got my hands on everything she had written. Her fiction book An Untamed State was also really good. I'm hoping to get to her short story collection Difficult Women this year.

      Delete
  4. The Hate U Give has made SO many favorite lists this year! I guess I need to read it. Looks like you had a great reading year! Good luck with your goals this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the Hate U Give as much as I did! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Of your faves, I've only read Henrietta Laks (loved it!) but want to get to all of the others. Hmm, I think I may even have some of them on my Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherman Alexie's memoir is so great. I hope you definitely get to that one this year.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.