Friday, December 3, 2010

Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox

Genre: teen fiction, fantasy
FTC Disclosure: bought from Amazon.com
Published: 2007
Pages: 464 
Content: PG

One line review: Fantastic writing but a rather odd ending.

Elizabeth Knox really has a knack for drawing you in and getting you excited about this world and its characters. I really enjoyed this one, overall, better than the first book. Events and plot moved along a lot faster this time around and I really enjoyed that. We learn more about the Place and why it appeared and how Laura and her family are connected. There's also an evil plot afoot from a someone in authority that needs to be dealt with. She also explores faith and unbelief and power and control. And I definitely was not expecting the ending. She had be guessing for quite awhile. Sometimes I would stop and think after a chapter and ponder what was really going on and make my own guesses.

But the ending!!! Yikes...we've got time travel, a time paradox and some slightly odd relationships going on in the end...really odd, actually...disturbingly so. I'm not sure why she had to write it like this. But I don't want to give it all away and may have already if you decide to read both books.

I loved the series. It was different and interesting. I cared about the characters; they were real, and the writing is just fantastic. But the ending was a huge disappointment. Others may feel differently, though. So go ahead and give it a try.

My review of Dreamhunter is here.

Rating: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.