Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Genre: vampire, historical
FTC Disclosure: bought used on Goodreads Swap
Published: 2010
Pages: 336
Content: PG-13 for vampire violence.

In a Line: A fun and fast look at Abe Lincoln as a vampire hunter.

I really enjoyed Grahame-Smith's first novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So I was hoping for same sort of style with this novel. I was not disappointed! I expected to just like it, but I really enjoyed this one.

Grahame-Smith starts the novel with himself...receiving a bunch of old diaries from someone named Henry...ta dah, all about Abe Lincoln's life as a vampire hunter and the real truth behind the Civil War. This plot device is cheesy, but it drew me in even more. Let's blame everything on imaginary creatures, those darn vampires! HA, love it!

We follow Abe through his life from the loss of his mother to the discovery of vampires and his desire to see them all sent to Hell! To his political career to end slavery, since that is how the vampires feed so well in America.

It definitely makes me want to read an actual biography Abe Lincoln. There are also fun doctored photos of Abe killing vamps and such. It's fun and campy and I really enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was the literal demonization of certain key historical figures...but then I just thought to myself that it is fiction and to turn the brain off and just enjoy it!


Rating: 4/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. oh, this sounds so great! If I see this book at the bookstore, I will buy it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds interesting :) I have to read one of Grahame-Smith's books one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. I really enjoyed this one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.