Monday, September 13, 2021

Camping!

We have survived the first few weeks of school. G got sick the week before Labor Day weekend and boy oh boy was I nervous. I got him tested and he came back negative but the kid hasn't been sick in almost 18 months! And he's been great at wearing his mask at school but ultimately we can only protect so much when so many won't wear masks indoors...he's OK and recovered quickly. But it was a very nerve-wracking start to September.

Thankfully, we were able to get away for a little camping trip this last weekend! It nice to sit back and relax and enjoy Nature and each other. We had a great time. We only got mildly rained on! OK, it rained a lot Saturday and it was pretty chilly but we made the best of it!


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Since my last update:
Reading Life:


Finished:
The Memory Thief and the Secrets Behind How We Remember by Lauren Aguirre. I listened to My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham-Jones. Sooooo good. He can write no wrong. Meta-horror fiction with only a twist Graham-Jones can write. The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup, a Nordic noir that's been made into a Netflix series coming out this month. Looking forward to it!

Currently Reading: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo for my 1001 Books to Read Before You Die Challenge, The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (RIP challenge), The Broken Girls by Simone St. James (RIP challenge), The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (philosophy challenge and classics challenge), The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell (all my scary challenges!), and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Watching Life:

TV: I've been watching Slasher season 4 out on Shudder. Gross and dumb just what I need right now! G and I are watching the final weeks of Lego Masters! I also started Evil. Just so weird and campy and I can't say I like it all that much but I still keep watching! Why?! And the DH and I just started The Boys on Amazon Prime. Wow. That is messed up but we love it! White Lotus on HBO is really good too, but not quite binge-worthy so I'm taking my time.

Movies: I'm watching all the horror right now. I get started in September and never look back. I got a Shudder subscription last year and now I'm hooked and I can get all the horror all year round!


Horror:
Attack the Block--Aliens attack the wrong neighborhood in England! Kandisha--a vengeful spirit attacks men (I really liked this one!) Candyman--loved the original from the 90s. This remake/sequel was still good but I was hoping for more. Martyrs Lane--a really great ghost story and it has a lot to say about grief. Superhost--This was just silly but fun. Malignant--not great at all. Don't bother.

Making: I made up a pumpkin pie pumpkin for puree! I baked up some yummy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin pancakes this last week. We've been trying to get as much grilling as we can in. I know the season will end too soon.

Looking forward to: Fall. I love summer but once Labor Day is done I am too. I'm all about chillier weather and pumpkin and leaves and scary! 

Talk Like a Pirate Day is on Sunday and I thought we'd celebrate with some fun decor and activities!

12 comments:

  1. That is tough- whenever symptoms pop up now you worry about Covid, how can you not? Glad you guys had a nice camping trip- sounds fun in spite of the rain!

    I'm not into horror much but I do love a good scary! I'll be watching some scary stuff on Netflix this fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some fun scary stuff in this fall!

      Delete
  2. I immediately go into panic mode whenever someone I know has even a cough. I'm glad that it turned out not to be Covid. And camping is exactly where I'd like to go...even in the rain!

    Your reading list sounds great right now. You've transitioned easily to your RIP list.

    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my neighbors just tested positive for Covid and they're unvaccinated. He's ok so far but he's had to postpone a backpacking trip and he'll be spending his 40th birthday quarantined by himself in his basement because he didn't get vaccinated. It's so frustrating!

      I'm really enjoying my scary book and movie list right now! Just what I need to start fall off right.

      Delete
  3. Scary! Such a crazy, stressful time right now. Just like it was last year. Hugs to you. I just added My Heart is a Chainsaw to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you enjoy it! Stephen Graham Smith is amazing. Love his stuff.

      Delete
  4. Glad G is all right. The camping looks good ... does the rain mean the wildfires are out now?! You like horror which is refreshing ... I'm a bit too chicken but I like hearing about these kinds of books & movies from you. Cute photos you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a lot less smoky this last week. So I'm hoping that continues!!! I love me some horror, for sure. I try to get a little watching in each night of a show or movie to celebrate the season!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that G didn't have Covid! My oldest got it a little over a week ago and he was vaccinated! He didn't have any sense of taste or smell for about six days. So frustrating that so many won't do the simplest thing to keep themselves, their neighbors and their loved ones safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's been so stressful having him back in school in a state where no one wants to wear a mask and half think Covid is not a big deal. Three of my neighbors caught Covid this last week. One lost his taste of smell as well. So scary. I hope your oldest is recovering well! Hugs.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you were able to go camping and expecially glad to hear no Covid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get out a bit and relax! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.