Friday, October 9, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: Riot Baby and Through the Woods


Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi
Published: January 21st, 2020 by Tor
Genre: Sci-fi/fantasy
Format: Hardcover, 176 Pages, Library
Rating: 4.5 stars

My Thoughts:

This is a poignant look at what could happen if a power is born out of destruction and trauma. Specifically, Black Americans' trauma of police violence, school-to-prison-pipeline, etc. Ella has a power that begins to consume her. She can see people's futures; how they die and when. She soon begins to exhibit even more power. Can she save her brother Kev who's been sent to Riker's island awaiting trail for years with no conviction?

Onyebuchi has a way with words and imagery. Some of the transitional story elements were hard to follow but it's a powerful book and thoroughly enjoyed it.


Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
Published: July 15th, 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genre: Horror, Graphic Novel, Young Adult, Short Stories
Format: Paperback, 208 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Ms. Carroll takes us through the woods via various stories. And they are horrific and creepy! Some were a little ambiguous so it was hard to know exactly what happened but I think that adds to the horror, honestly. G read it right before bet one night and had a hard time getting to sleep. I read it the next night and also found my thoughts a bit disturbed before bed.

The illustrations are also terrifying and gorgeous. 

I almost wanted more stories and more of the story, which is why it doesn't get a full five from me. But these are a great collection of terrifying stories. They almost remind me of "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark."

*read this as part of the Frightfall Read-a-thon over at Seasons of Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.