Sunday, November 19, 2017

Week-in-Review-- November 19, 2017

We've all been a bit under the weather around here. My DH is off to Taiwan for work. But I did manage to get a few things done this week.

Books Finished:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, and Dot Journaling: A Practical Guide by Rachel Wilkerson Miller

Currently Reading:

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone by J.K. Rowling (reading with G), We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates, From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty. I've decided to focus in on The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I also started Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini, which I'm reading with a friend.

Next month I'll be reading Shakespeare's Hamlet for my classic club spin number! I haven't read anything by Shakespeare since high school!

Listening To:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders on Audible. I'm almost done!

Watching:

Movies about death and grief.

source
Death at a Funeral (2007): This was a funny story about the crazy relationships we have with family and how only a funeral can bring it all out in the open to heal.

source
Wind River (2017): I actually went into this one thinking it would only be a mystery/thriller but it ended up being a movie about grief and how we deal with it. There were so many layers to this movie. I ended up thinking about it long into the night after I finished it and it made me cry even after it was over. It was such a poignant look into how we deal with other people's grief and how it can permanently change us.

I also started the Six Feet Under series from HBO. It is quality programming. I'm loving their take on the funeral industry.

Making:

I've been trying to get my bullet journal going again. I picked up a book on dot journaling to give me a better overview about what to put in it and how to set it up and some tips and tricks. I've basically been using what I could glean from Pinterest, etc but this one book has really got me excited about getting into it again and starting fresh for January.

I'll be making whipped cheesecake, Thanksgiving themed jelly shots, red wine sangria, pumpkin chocolate chips cookies, mashed potatoes, and ham for three different Thanksgiving events this week! I'll be going crazy but we'll have a lot of fun.

Looking forward to:

DH left last Friday for Taiwan so the next few weeks are going to be more difficult but we shall persevere! We have 3 Thanksgiving events this week. Friends over on Wednesday night for games and good food.

Thanksgiving with my family, unfortunately, it'll be a sober event but we will have fun playing games and getting caught up. My niece and her family will be in from Nebraska and I love catching up with her!

Saturday is Friendsgiving at my neighbor's house. We'll have all the trimmings plus the fun beverages and jelly shots! It'll be a really good time.

G will be out of school for most of the week so I'm hoping to take him to the new movie Coco and maybe a small hike since the weather is supposed to be in the 50s! Crossing my fingers.

Pics from the week:

2017-11-18 16.36.24
All I got this week were two cats and a kid!

2017-11-15 17.26.02
Shadow looking adorable

Nov 12
G got into a bit of trouble playing outside with a friend. So to calm down he built this out of his Magformers. Very cute, I must say.

2 comments:

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.