Sunday, December 4, 2022

November...Being Grateful

Ever since I got back from vacation for Fall Break back in October, I have been plagued with one illness or another. My son gave something to me and I felt terrible the last day of vacation on our drive home and that turned into a major sinus infection...I thought I was starting to get through it and decided to finally get our flu shots...maybe it's coincidence...but within a few days I got all the flu-like symptoms and have been lying in bed for the last week. It's amazing what a few weeks of ill health will do to a person. I haven't been really all that ill since before the pandemic. It's made me really appreciate the health I had before I got sick and what I can look forward to once I start feeling better.

It really sets me back for holiday plans and excursions and goals I'd been working on...all need to be replanned, gotten rid of, or moved to a much later date. It's exhausting.

That's life, though, plans and life just can change in an instant. Without times like these it is harder to appreciate the good health that we have or the good times that are here. 

Finally, feeling better. Probably the best I've felt since October 15th! I am truly grateful for antibiotics, humidifiers, cough drops, mindless holiday baking shows, and a family that kept going...

2022-11-19 20.50.55

Made it out before my flu hit with my dear friend Steph to celebrate her birthday right before Thanksgiving.

Books read in November...I'm surprised I made it through these, tbh.


The Problem With Everything: My Journey Through the New Culture Wars
by Meghan Daum

An interesting look at some of the ways the culture wars have affected people in journalism. It wandered a bit but it was a worthwhile read.


The Cuckoo's Calling
(Cormoran Strike #1) by Robert Galbraith

I've been wanting to read these for awhile and decided this was as good a time as any. Not my most favorite start to the series by any means but I'll read the next one just to see how the characters evolve and interact with one another.


The Last Wish
(The Witcher #.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski

These are a conglomeration of stories about the Witcher Geralt. I've been watching the Netflix series and decided it was time to read the source material! I liked this a lot better than I thought I would. So much of the stories are reimagined Grimm's fairytales...Beauty and the Beast...Rumpelstiltskin. It kind of makes me wonder of Sapkowski wrote the series as a bit of satire or parody on the fantasy and fairytale genre. A bit tongue and cheek, as they say.

The short stories give us some insight into Geralt's world of misfits and magic. We also learn a bit more about Yennefer and how her and Geralt meet and how they become so intertwined. And yes we see a lot of Dandelion, Geralt's infamous bard. It's just good fun. I don't know how else to describe it. 

TV

All the holiday baking shows, of course! The Great British Baking Show was fantastic and something I look forward to every year and their holiday special they do with actors is a riot.

1899 on Netflix was also really fantastic. Be prepared to have more questions by the end than answers but it's quite a mystery and I can't wait till season 2.

White Lotus' second season on HBO has been very engrossing. Loving this season's take. And let's not forget the wrap-up season of The Vow on season two on the wellness cult Nexium and the prosecution and conviction of its leader Keith Raniere. So good and disturbing.

Magpie Murders on PBS was a great adaptation from Anthony Horowitz' novel. Fun, fun, fun.

Movies

I'm not going to lie...I watched a lot of movies this last month...I didn't have much energy for the other important things at night...so yeah.


But my favorites were Bodies, Bodies, Bodies; Smile; Fall; and for the holidays the winner was The Noel Diary on Netflix. I actually kind of teared up a bit...

And over the Thanksgiving weekend we watched all of the Harry Potter movies as a family! It's almost a family tradition. Loved it.


I am looking forward to watching all the holiday movies of old with my family and then the weird sequels and or the new adaptation of that timeless classic...A Christmas Story followed by its sequel on HBO and the new Spirited, A Christmas Carol adaptation, with Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell on Apple TV. 

We're going to show G "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time. I've been saying that almost every year but there are a lot of good ones and it seems this one never popped up. But it's a goal!

The Holiday with Kate Winslet, Jude Law, and Cameron Diaz are DH's and I's favorite as well this time of year. Can't forget Elf either. G will also watch a few holiday horror movies with me like Krampus.

I'm also looking forward to our 19th wedding anniversary! Wowser. Nothing fancy, but we're heading up to downtown Salt Lake for a night, eat some dinner, and spend a nice time together. Hopefully catch some holiday lights up there as well.

Happy holidays!


Joining up with Deb from Readerbuzz and her Sunday Salon.

22 comments:

  1. I hope that flu shot helped from the illness being worse! Glad you are over it. I'm thankful for steroids which kept me from hives early in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally feeling better but yeah...I do think it was a coincidence. Grateful I'm feeling better. Sorry you get hives! Glad the steroids help.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love Great British Baking--all the contestants were wonderful, as usual.

    Will have to check out Magpie Murders--PBS isn't great about keeping shows around after they've aired. But I think I would like that one! Not sure what 1899 is, but will check that out as well. The title alone is intriguing.

    Sorry to hear you've been under the weather--it's always hard to be sick, but missing out on fun holiday stuff makes it even worse. Hope you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like Magpie Murders. I think if you donate at least 60 dollars a year you get access to their catalog.
      If you enjoy sci-fi stories that are dark, 1899 is for you!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are starting to feel better. Being sick that long is no fun. I am getting over a cold. It wasn't too bad though, fortunately. I enjoy The Witcher but haven't read any of the books the show is based on. You have me wanting to though with your thoughts of The Last Wish. I teared up a bit while watching The Noel Diary too. Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a good one. Have a great week and month of December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am happy to be feeling better for December and the holiday season.
      I hope you get to the Witcher book series. It's a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! It is amazing how much we appreciate good health when we get something. and good grief thank goodness for antibiotics, right?

    I was curious about 1899. Started the first one but need to make some time to give it a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Good health is nothing to take for granted that is for sure.
      I hope you get to 1899. I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! We're just a year behind you; we celebrated #18 in October.

    I'm glad you're starting to feel better but sorry you felt so bad for so long.

    I liked The Cuckoo's Calling and the next one pretty well. I listened to both and though they were well done. I need to continue the series but I say that about a lot of series. There's just never enough time!

    We liked this season of The Great British Baking Show and just watched the Christmas episode on Friday night. I like to buy tiny Walker's mince pies at World Market and chow down on those while we watch the Christmas episode. We've usually finished eating them before the introductory credits finish rolling though! :-)

    All 8 HP movies in a weekend! I'm impressed! I'm a slooooooooow watcher. If I'm gone, my husband will finish a season of something in a day or two. We decided to re-watch all the Marvel movies in timeline order about two years ago. We just watched Avengers: Endgame last night, which was the current movie when we started the big re-watch! :-) At least now we have new movies to look forward to.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 18th!
      Good to know on the Strike series. I think I'll get the second one going either this month or in January. The TV series so far focuses on the first two books.
      I don't think I've ever eaten a mince pie before! I should grab some and try them out.
      We watched over a whole week but with the long Thanksgiving weekend...but yeah about a movie a night and one night was two! whew!
      I remember watching all the movies one summer before the first Avengers of the two parter came out. There's just too many now along with the TV shows. So I just rewatch the ones I really like. But good on you two for getting through them so far!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I understand about being ill! I hope that you will soon be feeling back to your previous healthy self! I posted a link to a copy cat recipe for Starbucks Medicine Ball/Honey Citrus tea on last week’s post. It’s really helpful to my husband and I. I’m glad you were able to get some reading accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will check out that recipe. Sounds delicious and just what I need right now.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, the flu!!! I think watching movies is just the ticket while recovering. We also watched a Wonderful Life and we love Harry Potter movies as well. Can't stand Will Ferell so I'll give Spirted a pass. Happy anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will Ferrell is definitely an acquired taste at times but I do love quite a few of his movies. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I hope you continue to get better. I don't blame you for watching alot of movies. That's what I do when I'm sick too. Feel better and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golly, I'm sorry you have been so sick. My sister was saying yesterday that she thinks more people are getting sick this year with this and that because we stayed masked and away from people for so long and now we're very vulnerable.

    I can't wait to watch some holiday movies, too. We always watch It's a Wonderful Life and my husband loves A Christmas Carol (very old version) and Miracle on 34th Street. I love Charlie Brown Christmas and (cartoon) Grinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your sister may be right! I went out of state, which I haven't done in a really long time and that's what seemed to do me in...lowered my immune system defense and I'm still trying to catch up!
      I haven't seen Miracle on 34th Street in a long time; I should add it to my list this year as well.

      Delete
  10. So glad you're finally starting to feel better! Have a wonderful anniversary night out and enjoy all the movies and festivities this month!

    I need to see that Spirited movie. Just that little graphic makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Looking forward to a night away. I hope you enjoy Spirited! Looks goofy. Can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  11. Hmm We have not tried the series The White Lotus yet so we'll check that out - thanks for the tip. The Meghan Daum book looks pretty interesting. I did read the 2nd book in the Galbraith series. I like the relationship between Strike & Robin but the books seem very wordy and could use an editor to make them a bit faster paced. I'm glad you are feeling much better in time for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Lotus is really well done. I hope you get to it soon. My friend uses it in her sociology classes.
      My thoughts exactly on the Galbraith books. They seem a bit wordy and a tighter book would move the story a long a bit better. Even Tana French's books were a bit too wordy even though I loved almost every single one.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.