Sunday, October 25, 2020

Week-in-Review: 1st Snow of the Season...

This is the view I woke up to this morning...


2020-10-25 08.30.182020-10-25 08.30.12


First snow of the season! It's been cloudy all day today but we did get out our heated coffee table, aka the kotatsu. So we are staying warm and snuggly today. It should warm up a bit in a day or so back up to the 50s and 60s. I'm hoping...

Things I'm not happy about, though, is our Covid numbers. We hit almost 2,000 positive cases on Saturday in one day. Our biggest hospitals are hitting 99% ICU capacity. It's bad. I wish more people would take this seriously and wear masks and care about each other!

But, on a good note, right before it turned cool I went on a hike with some friends up into the mountains. It was a great day for it and we saw some pretty colors still!

2020-10-21 16.49.58 (2)

2020-10-21 16.35.15

2020-10-21 16.06.19

2020-10-21 15.41.52

Since it's been getting colder my kitty Nala has been extra cuddly while I'm working at the computer.

2020-10-20 08.26.01

Things I'm Grateful For this week:

1. Our cars are fixed! DH's car just needed a new key battery and I had to get a new car battery but it wasn't anything worse than that. My friend's son was able to come and jump my car so I could actually get back home. 

2. I made some delicious coffee cake muffins.

3. We found a new to us Indian restaurant this weekend and it was delicious! We haven't had some in ages so it was a nice treat.

4. While driving around doing errands we saw a man on a corner holding a sign that said: "Veterans for Biden." Warmed my heart considering what a conservative town, county, and state I live in. We gave him honks and waves and thumbs up!

Reading:


finished up 5 books this week! I'm very excited about this. A couple of these I had been working on for months! The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, Where the Woods End by Charlotte Salter, Emma by Jane Austen, Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell, and What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John McWhorter


I started Nightbooks by J.A. White and A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik. It was on the Lucky Day shelf at the library so I need to read it by Thursday!


I'm still reading Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen, but I only have one chapter left so I'll definitely finish it up this next week. And I'm reading the third section in Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi. Book club is Sunday!

 I'm taking my time with The Self-Driven Child by William Stixrud. There's a lot to digest and I don't want to miss anything. I was hoping end of October to be finished but I'm now shooting for mid-November.

Classics that I'm reading: I just started Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

Philosophy: At the Existentialist Cafe: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir,  Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Others by Sarah Bakewell. 

Listening to:

Podcasts: I started listening to What a Day to catch up a bit on the news and listened to a few episodes of DemocracyNow.

New Books Acquired: 





Watching:


Movies:


Every Halloween at least...we watch Clue as a family. We got that one in this weekend. Such a classic.

For my horror fest:

Evil Eye 
on Amazon Prime was a really good surprise. Looks like some good ones on here from Prime for horror. 

The Lie on Amazon was not great. It sat on the shelf for a couple of years and then was quietly released through Prime...there's a reason; it's a terrible film.


Bad Hair
 on Hulu was just released and it was fantastic. It's funny, has great social commentary, and has a few spooky parts as well.

TV:                           

HBO released the last episodes of Lovecraft Country and The Third Day. I finished both of those off. Lovecraft Country was fantastic, the only thing I really have to complain about is their treatment of Ruby. They didn't treat her well and it really makes me mad. She was treated a lot better in the book and it's just a shame. The Third Day is a fantastic folk horror limited TV series and an interesting and devastating look at grief.

And of course I'm keeping up on The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. My faves are still hanging in! And the Food Channel's Halloween Bake-off is also keeping me entertained.

Making: 

I made yummy chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes this morning! This next week will be a lot of soup and chilis and other baked goodies...

Looking forward to Halloween! No trick-or-treating this year but we get to plan out our costumes this week, think of some goodies to bake, and enjoy a cozy night at home while watching cheesy classic horror movies together as a family.

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon



12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to hike. We are daring to take a trip from our home in Texas to Arizona in two weeks, and we plan to do a lot of hiking.

    I'm sorry to hear your Covid numbers are going up. It's especially worrisome to think about the ICUs filling up. People are so careless with other people's lives. Sad.

    It's a happy feeling to know your vehicles are working, isn't it?

    I bought The Plague last week, too. I couldn't pass it up as a Kindle book.

    I hope you have a good week. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful trip! I think Arizona will be a bit cooler so you can enjoy your hikes! I look forward to some of your pictures.

      I couldn't pass up the nice price on Kindle either for The Plague!

      Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  2. Yeah we too have snow! It's unusual how much. Your hike pics look beautiful -- Great to get out. The sign "Veterans for Biden" warms my heart. Will it come true?! I sure hope so. Have a great week with all your books & with Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get a ton in the valleys but our mountains got a lot. But it's winter cold here for the next couple of days. It'll warm up for the weekend, though. So I gotta be happy about that. I can handle low 60s.

      Enjoy your Halloween too and your week!

      Delete
  3. I love the photo of you and your kitty. Where do you live? I hope it is Colorado so the snow will put out the fires. Have a good week. My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in northern Utah, just south of Salt Lake City. Close to Colorado! Have a great week too and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. The Covid numbers are going up here too. Unfortunately, too many people aren't taking this seriously. Those are great photos. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope the numbers go down soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Your hiking pics are gorgeous and your kitty is super adorable. Such a cute cute face. I am so not ready for winter. Coffee cake muffins sound delicious, and I just love Indian food. It seems everyone is reading Lies My Teacher Told Me. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lies My Teacher Told Me is a great resource. I will enjoy them. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Your hiking pictures are beautiful! I'm happy to let you keep the snow though. ;-)

    We usually have pancakes on Saturday. I tolerate pumpkin but my husband loves it. I need to remind him that it's the season for pumpkin pancakes. The chocolate chips add a nice touch, I'm sure. I'll have to suggest that.

    I love the cover for Nightbooks!

    We've been a little nervous about choosing a new location for my husband's job. We were in California when the pandemic started and then spent 6 months in Oregon. People in both states have been really good about masks, at least in the areas we were in. We know we'll be in culture shock if we end up in a place where no one really bothers. I hope your numbers start coming down.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys are able to choose a pretty spot with smart people who wear masks!

      Everyone loves the pumpkin pancakes but my son was not so hot on the chocolate chips. So I have to keep those out next time. But it was a fun addition one time.

      Nightbooks is really a great book. I'll probably finish it today.

      Enjoy your week too and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.