Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: Solutions and Other Problems, Tunnel of Bones...


The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Published: October 10th, 2020 by Alfred A. Knopf
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: Paperback, 519 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

The series gets a solid 4 stars for me. But this particular book was very slow in the beginning. But it picked up halfway through and carried us on. But I'll be honest I did not like the ending as much as I was hoping. It felt like Pullman didn't quite know how to end such a grand series and world and so it just kind of felt like hmmmf. Also, the implication of how one's daemon might not change anymore was not great. He never said for everyone but that was implied. The implications of that are a bit harried and I don't think he thought much about it beyond his characters.

But despite those misgivings it's a fantastic series. So very clever, full of philosophy about life and death and religion and power and agency. It's a true classic and am so glad I read it with G. We had lots to discuss.


The Beauty in Breaking: A Memoir by Michele Harper
Published: July 7th, 2020 by Riverhead Books
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction, Medicine
Format: Audiobook, 7 hours, 46 minutes, Library
Rating: 3.5 stars

My Thoughts:

I really liked this one. She has a very unique perspective has a Black woman physician working in emergency medicine. Her childhood was heartbreaking and her desire to heal her patients is truly inspirational. She doesn't shy away from microaggressions at work or with patients.

I also found inspirational the ways she was able to heal herself so she could go on trying to heal others. She maintained healthy boundaries with her abusive father but always with the option of healing and forgiving on her own terms.

The only thing that brought it down was the way she talked about holistic healing in conjunction with medicine. While I agree a lot that if everyone had access to basic medical care and could make a living wage with one job this would be a good way to help people manage their stress and take care of themselves. But it felt a little bit like because I can do it (meditate, yoga retreats, acupuncture, self care top priority outside of work) then anyone can. Maybe she actually wouldn't say that, I doubt she would but that is what it felt like to me. If she had talked about how these things helped her personally and kept it at that I would have found it more appealing and honest.

But overall, it's a beautiful memoir and her experiences are priceless. I also listened to the author read the book and she did great! I highly recommend the audio.


The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
Published: July 14th, 2020 by Gallery/Saga Press
Genre: Horror
Format: Kindle, 310 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

This was a trip! I loved it. The only thing I didn't love was how little I got to know some of the characters before the end. Take Lewis. I felt like he focused the most on him. And his horror story was the most twisted of all but it's only in the first half. But the ending is spot on and made everything come together. It's a gory and twisted and yet hopeful and poignant story. Even if horror isn't your thing I still feel like this is one to read. Jones an American Indian and he knows how to weave this tale that brings race, land, and colonialism all into view. 


Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab
Published: September 3rd, 2019 by Scholastic Press
Genre: Horror, Juvenile Fiction
Format: Hardcover, 304 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

This is the second book in the Cassidy Blake series. The first was in Edenborough, Scotland and this one is in Paris! The catacombs take front and center and are they ever creepy. Cassidy and best friend Jacob (who's a ghost) want to keep out of trouble as they tour the Catacombs but Cassidy accidentally disturbs a poltergeist, a ghost who's forgotten who he or she is. They're more powerful and you need to get them to remember who they are and how they died before you can send them on to the "light."

I loved reading about Cassidy in Paris and how she worked through the mystery of the poltergeist. It's a sad tale and we find out more about Jacob as well. Schwab always handles the tough stuff with aplomb. 

G also read this one. He couldn't remember the first one from last year so he read that one and then this one. Loved them both and can't wait til the third one comes out in March. He also hopes the next one will feature more of Grim their fluffy black cat!


Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh
Published: September 22nd, 2020 by Gallery Books
Genre: Graphic Novel, Funny, Nonfiction, Memoir
Format: Hardcover, 518 Pages, Own
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

Allie Brosh keeps it raw, real and humorous. I haven't read something that makes me so sad and happy at the same time. She writes about the death of her sister and it's truly devastating. But it's also real and vulnerable. We've all been there with those who have died before their time and we love them.

Her story about her sister and her sister's best friend is disturbing and beautiful. We get to hear about the Hammer Guy next door and how she takes revenge! And guided meditation and the employees at the grocery store will never be the same for me again!

If you loved her first one you'll love this one. And if you haven't read Hyperbole and a Half go get it now and then this one. You're welcome.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a good mix of reads ... I'm curious about the memoir a bit ... does it get too holistic? Does it also tell of her life in medicine? seems like a crazy time to be in emergency med right now! What part of the country is Harper writing about? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cassidy Blake series has been on my radar for quite some time. Sounds so good.

    I think I might be the only reader on the blogosphere who did NOT like the Phillip Pulman series. I've started with the first one in the series twice and really just can't get into it at all.

    Love your short, but thorough reviews!

    Hope you will have a good week and thanks for the advice on Black Tom on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take a bit to get into. Third time was the charm and reading it aloud with my son. I had a hard doing it on my own. I hope you enjoy Black Tom!

      Delete
  3. I have The Only Good Indians on my tbr pile. And looking forward to the new Brosh graphic novel. I like her humor.
    side note: Yes, I've seen the Shirley film and enjoyed it for its creepiness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.