Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Corona Quarantine Day: ??

I've seen a meme going around:


Yup. That's how it feels. What day is it?

I bought a couple of puzzles online from a local toy store. They were super quick and delivered it the next day! We finished one:

2020-03-29 19.16.13

It was super hard to get the space pieces in after we got the planets all done! But good and brainy at the same time.

We Watched: The Sandlot. We showed it to G a couple of years ago but he didn't remember it much and when I keep saying "You're killing me, Smalls! You're really killing me!" he now understands what I'm talking about! he he. Plus, The Sandlot is a classic for me. I was 12 or 13 when it came out and it was filmed in my home state so we heard a lot about the making of it while it was happening. So it was nice to share that bit of myself with him.

I started Locke & Key on Netflix. It's interesting but isn't quite pulling me in yet. I started the Tiger King on Netflix as well. Wow. That's a rough one. Fascinating but also the poor wild cats who are caught between all of it. It's heartbreaking. What else? Westworld season 3 on HBO. Very confusing so far but I'll let a few more episodes drop and then binge and see if it comes together more. I started Schitt's Creek as well. Not sure yet on that one either. Nothing is coming together for me on TV right now. I finished the latest season of The Sinner... I did not like that season. At all. I thought it was terrible. Boo.

But I have watched some of my favorite movies. Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2. So good. I'm crocheting a new blanket while I watch my old faves. And Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley.

Reading: I am almost done with The Histories! The last 200 pages are all about Persia invading Greece and how each city-state comes into play to fight back. That movie 300 was about the Spartans who stood up to the huge Persian army. So it's been kind of interesting. I have about 70 pages and then I'm done! I'm super proud of myself. I didn't think I'd make it.

G and I finished March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine by Melba Pattillo Beals. I think G was a bit too young for this one. But we had some important conversations about race and the Civil Rights era. We're almost done with The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman. 

Right now I'm working on Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. I really thought this was going to be a light fun read but it is not. It's full of heartbreaking trauma and it's going to take me a while to get through even though it is a very short book. Don't listen to lists about what to read during the quarantine... Spillover: Animals Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by Daniel Quammen is quite fascinating. It's big so I'm slowly working my way through it but he talks about a lot of the big outbreaks that have happened over the last 100 years or so from bacterial infections like Q fever to SARS and Ebola. So interesting. 

I'm also listening to Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland. It's the second book to Dread Nation. It's about what would have happened had a zombie apocalypse hit America during the Civil War? It's a fantastic series.

G is slowly getting the hang of online school. We've got a pretty good schedule for the mornings and afternoons. He plays online with his cousin and friends after he gets his school work done. Then we have some family time after dinner. Last night we went for a quiet walk around the neighborhood, played a couple of games and ate ice cream before bed. 

My schedule has fallen apart. It's hard to keep it all going while I'm trying to manage the household. So my online schooling and transcription have been placed a bit on hold. I try to find time on the weekends or after G is done with his daily school work but it's exhausting, all of it.

But we try to remember what we're grateful for. DH is able to work from home so we're able to pay our bills. Our family and friends are staying healthy as well. We're grateful for those who are putting their lives on the line to make sure we have food and water and the health care workers as well. I've heard some horror stories about how mean people are to grocery store workers, etc. Let's remember to keep calm and say nice things and be patient. It's a tough time for all but it's really tough for a lot more of us out there. Hugs and stay safe and healthy.

What's been slim in the stores? I don't need TP but it's still scarce and so is flour, sugar, rice, beans, pasta, eggs, and yeast. We have some great friends and neighbors that are looking out for each other. People post something they need and so many people are willing to help and drop off items for each other.

11 comments:

  1. I'm going to try Locke & Key soon. It looks interesting. I haven't been that thrilled with Westworld. I agree, it's confusing. I'll keep trying, though. All paper goods have been scarce in the stores. Eggs, frozen foods and chicken have been scarce too.

    Thank you for your kind words for the loss of my kitty. I appreciate it.

    Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit confused with Westworld! Locke & Key has been interesting and I'll keep going back to it but not sure if it's one I'll want to binge. Keep safe and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. There's so much wisdom in this post. I try to keep remembering the good things, but there is a lingering sense of worry around me about what is going to happen next. Nice things, yes. I shall try harder to stay calm.

    I'm glad you are reading Eleanor Oliphant. It turned out to be one of my favorite reads. Eleanor felt very real to me.

    My mom had a lot of jigsaw puzzles when she was alive. They are upstairs at my dad's house. I may get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the constant worry. Surreal is the word I've been hearing about what is going on. But not quite. I really am enjoying Eleanor it's just I wasn't expecting her history to be so traumatic. But I'm looking forward to her ending.

      Puzzles are a great way to distract oneself. I hope you can pull those out and have some fun!

      Delete
  3. I agree - it's hard right now to figure things out and be in any sort of schedule. It's been really hard to also keep working and keep my kids on track with their learning. We've been watching a lot of old favorites - Anne of Green Gables and comedies from the 80's to keep things light hearted. Ben and I want to watch the Tiger King as it seems like it is every where right now, but I am afraid to watch something where the animals are not treated well. I'm glad things are going okay with you. We'll all get through this craziness sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finding something to appreciate in every day, too... it really helps! Sounds like you're all doing well despite having all schedules and routines disrupted. I really enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant on audio, but it definitely was night a light, fun read. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to finishing it this weekend!

      Delete
  5. I've wanted to start a puzzle but with 5 cats I think any progress I made would quickly erased during their play time. See what I've been reading at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I bet it would be hard unless you could do the puzzle in one sitting. Maybe you can find a card table and then cover it up with a blanket when you're done. We've done that before. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I am FOREVER saying "You're killing me, Smalls!" So with you on that version of Pride and Prejudice; I know it's not 100% accurate to the book but I don't care because it's so beautifully shot and that scene in the field at the end melts me every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the artsy interpretation of that P&P! And that end scene and the first proposal scene. Sooo good.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.