Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Week-in-Review: DH's Birthday

It's been a fun week. DH celebrated the big 4-6! Every year we head up to Salt Lake City to El Chihuahua for their Deathstar Duckie drinks and invite as many friends as we can. Then we head over to the bar literally right next door--A Bar Named Sue--and get our dart or ping-pong ball game on. It's been a tradition the last few years and it's something we all look forward to. I think we all need a little birthday tradition to look forward to as those age dates keep climbing up year after year...

G had his last basketball game Saturday. Bittersweet. I won't miss the practices or the getting up early on Saturdays but it's so fun to watch all the littles try their darndest to play ball!

2019-03-09 10.56.19
Can you tell which one's mine?! He cracks me up!


Archie_bday_46_shadow
El Chihuahua party time!


BOOKS FINISHED: 


2019-03-12 17.08.27

  • The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African-American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael W. Twitty
  • If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin
  • Hey, Kiddo: How I Lost My Mother, Found My Father, and Dealt with Family Addiction by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
  • Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham
  • Lost Cat: A True Tale of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology by Caroline Paul

BOOKS I'M CURRENTLY READING:


  • And I Darken by Kiersten White
  • Wild Robot by Peter Brown (reading with G)
  • Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
  • These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore

LISTENING TO: 

  • Witch Elm by Tana French

WATCHING: 


TV:
  • Netflix: Great British Bake-off. G's been sick the last week and we've been catching up on all the seasons!
  • Netflix: The second season of The Secret City. It's a fun political drama from Australia.
  • HBO: The Case Against Adnan Syed. I listened to the podcast Serial when it featured this case and have been looking forward to a more visual handling of the case.

Movies:

  • Hulu: Into the Dark: Treehouse
  • Green Book
  • A Star Is Born
  • Widows

Making: 


I made ropa vieja last week in my InstantPot and was pleasantly surprised. It definitely wasn't authentic but it wasn't too bad! I made cupcakes from scratch with my new Kitchenaid mixer for DH's birthday. The frosting was lovely but the cake was a bit dry...and I plan on making chicken and dumpling soup tomorrow in my InstantPot.


Looking Forward to:

G gets free Utah Jazz basketball tickets when he participates in their Jr. Jazz basketball program. The game is Saturday and we are all looking forward to that. Whether they win or lose, it's just fun to be there but hope there is an actual win!

Also Spring! The time change has been a killer but it's also a signal that spring is around the corner and I need to get my plans into place for my garden! We also need to plan a mini vacation for Spring Break the first week of April...where to go. Somewhere out-of-state but not too far. Hmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. I love the birthday tradition! We've always snuck away together for a night, but it would be nice to start one involving friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.