Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Week-In-Review: Ballroom!

January has been a doozy. We just found out our water main has been broken for around 3 or so months but only got bad in the last two months...and we only found out when our neighbor discovered their water main leak. So now it's finding that leak and figuring out how to fix ourselves! But we have a pretty tight-knit community and everyone is coming together to help dig and fix this weekend.

And this weekend we all got sick with el gripe...or in my case a sinus infection. If that digs in deep I end up at the doctor's office and prescription of antibiotics.

But on a happier note G had his first ballroom competition a couple of weekends ago. He was very nervous and did a lot of crying the night before and the next morning. He was brave and he did his competition and his school won the Bronze in the beginning level category. I'm a proud mama. He can look back at this experience and say: "I CAN do hard things." It's been such an esteem booster for him. Proud, proud mama!


ballroom_Jan_19

Books Finished: 


  • Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs

Books I'm Currently Reading:


  • Hello World: Being Human in the Age of Algorithms by Hannah Fry
  • And I Darken by Kiersten White
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
  • Sense of Style: A Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century by Steven Pinker
  • The Truth As Told by Mason Buttle by Leslie Connor (reading aloud before bed with G)


Listening to: 




  • The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael W. Twitty (on Audible)
  • Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Finally got this one from the library and dived on in! I don't have very long and there's a huge waitlist...

Watching: 



TV:
  • Netflix's: Tidying Up With Marie Kondo (2019). Finished this one this week. Lots of great ideas but have been thinking of what will work for me and my family and what won't and am trying to get it sorted for when we tackle it all in a month or two!
  • Netflix's: Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes. I sat through all four episodes in two nights. I thought I knew a lot about Bundy but nope. I'm from Utah and had always heard about Bundy and his killings growing up. My mom was obsessed (rightfully so...) But I was too young to remember much and wow. He is scarier that I ever thought. The whole thing left me speechless. If you love true-crime this is not to be missed!
  • Fox's: The Passage. It's based on Justin Cronin's trilogy. I'm impressed. It's a lot better than I expected. I'm definitely going to pick up the series this year.
  • Fox's: The Orville. It's no Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I know it's not trying to be. It's just what I need right now: Stupid optimism and cheesy lines.
  • Netflix's: Grace & Frankie. This is also what I need right now!
Movies:

  • The Endless (2017)
  • Byzantium (2012)
(Actual reviews to come...)




Making: 


I finished my blanket for my great niece and nephew! I need to take pictures before I get them off later this week.


Looking Forward to:

Groundhog Day! Which corresponds to Imbolc--or Candlemas as well. I try to do something; it'll probably be small this year with me not feeling great this week. But I will throw something together. 

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Broken water lines are no fun. I hope it is an easy fix. That is cool that your kid is in ballroom!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.