Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday--Books That Surprised Me

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week is all about books that surprised us (good or bad).


1. Persuasion by Jane Austen. I'd read Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Pride and Prejudice. I thought I'd already found my favorite. But then I read Persuasion and was blown away at how much I loved it.


2. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. It was one of those books I'd heard good things but was completely blown away at how smart this book was. Her attention to detail, world-building and character makes this one of the best young adult fantasy series.


3. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie. Even though he's been getting all the bad press the last few weeks, his memoir is excellent. I was blown away at the depth of this book. I knew it would be good but I didn't realize how good until I listened.


4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Some friends wanted to read it and I decided to join in. I'd read two of his books back in high school and remember enjoying them. But wow. East of Eden is really well written. I'm saying this a lot...it blew me away at how good it is. My friend even got a tattoo on her wrist of the last phrase in the book. Boom. Surprisingly good.


5. The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman. I wanted to love this and I didn't. Sad but it happens.

11 comments:

  1. Neat book choices. I haven't read as many classics as I should. School forcing me to read some kind of sour me on them, but I need to get back in touch with them. Hope you have some more good surprises coming your way.

    http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-surprised-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I love your picks. I added a few to my TBR list.

      Delete
  2. Seraphina sounds like a book I would really enjoy - I just added it to my to read list. Great list. I felt the same about Persuasion. It is so good. I feel like everyone focuses on the other Austen novels and misses this gem of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Seraphina as much as I did! I'm happy you feel the same way about Persuasion as I do! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I love East of Eden! It is one of my favorite all time novels.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-surprised-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you also enjoyed East of Eden. Such a surprise of a book!

      Delete
  4. I've been told that I need to try Seraphina so many times. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Seraphina! Thanks for visiting me too.

      Delete
  5. Persuasion *sigh* That letter at the end gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Persuasion and East of Eden are both among my personal favorites and I've read both several times. I love it when I am surprised by a book's depth or ability to touch me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.