Friday, February 17, 2017

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West

2017-01-06 15.27.12Lindy West comes out swinging. She's hitting everything home. She's funny, she apologizes when she needs to, but mostly no f*cks are given. I loved reading her journey. Her ability to accept her body and to advocate for others is inspiring. How she has dealt with and continues to deal with deh Trollz aka people who are miserable human beings, is astounding. I look forward to reading more from her in the future. I'm definitely a Lindy fan!


"I also love being fat. The breadth of my shoulders makes feel safe. I am unassailable. I intimate. I am a polar icebreaker. I walk and climb and lift things. I can open your jar, I can absorb blows--literal and metaphorical--meant for other women, smaller women, breakable women, women who need me. My bones feel like iron--heavy, but strong. I used to say that being fat in our culture was like drowning (in hate, in blame, in your own tissue), but lately I think it's more like burning. After three decades in the fire, my iron bones are steel."

"It's hard to feel hurt or frightened when you're flooded with pity. It's hard to be cold or cruel when you remember it's hard to be a person."

"We're all building our world, right now, in real time. Let's build it better."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah! I had not even heard of Lindy before reading this book but I'm all over finding more of her stuff now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.