Monday, June 8, 2015

Living and Reading in Japan (10)

living_and_reading_june



This weekly meme has been inspired by Michelle at The True Book Addict and Lisa at Lit and Life--Life: It Goes On...but I wanted to tweak it a bit for myself since I am living in Japan for the next year (2014-2015).

I didn't get too many of these out my year here but with crummy internet and my time pulled elsewhere I just haven't gotten around to it. I only have a few weeks left in Japan. It's bittersweet. I'm excited to get back home but there are so many things I'll miss about Japan.

Source
Reading:
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary by Amanda Grange
  • The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt
  • The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
Finished:
  • Where the Flame Trees Bloom by Alma Flor Ada
  • Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier by Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • Wild: Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
Looking Forward To:

My last few weeks in Japan. We're traveling up to Kyoto this weekend. Then it's an onsen and microbrewery the week after that. We're trying to take it all in while we can with our few weeks left!

Making:

Not much. I made my old standbys here in Japan last week for Gabe's Sports' Day...Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. So yummy. I'm trying to get my food supplies down with only a few weeks left...It's usually quesadillas, sandwiches, stir fry, or yakisoba during the week. Weekends we head out for the local cuisine of okinomiyaki, ramen, sushi, and curries ;)

Listening To:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History--Armageddon. It's all about the first world war.
Mistakes made and how it changed modern warfare. Fascinating and tragic.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I think this is the only way to read such a long book. The narration really brings me into this fascinating fantasy. Because I really don't know if I'd be able to actually read through this one on my own.

Watching:

Aquarius. The storytelling gets a bit sloggy when it comes to Charles Manson. I enjoy David Duchovny's character the most along with his interaction with the female street cop who has to deal with all the misogyny.





The Honourable Woman. Watch this now on Netflix if you haven't already. It's just such a smart and well-acted TV series. Go. Go watch it!




Things I Did This Week:

Fukuyama was the week before and this week was a little town called Hagi. Both incredible. Fukuyama has a little town where a few scenes of Wolverine were filmed a few years ago. We met one of the extras at a museum and he told us about his 3 seconds of fame in the movie. So of course we had to watch the movie that night and find him!

2015-05-31 16.56.16-1


In Hagi we picked up some beautiful pottery and had some amazing views of both mountains and the ocean.

2015-06-07 14.33.52

The Japanese yukata festival was this last weekend too. I went out with friends in my yukata. It's the summer version of the kimono. It's simpler and cooler with the hot weather. They're beautiful!

2015-06-06 17.36.36


2015-06-06 11.11.21




5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experiences in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do better. But it just didn't happen. I'm glad I get these little posts out ;)

      Delete
  2. As excited as you were to go, after those first couple of weeks did you ever think you'd be regretting the time coming to an end? I'll bet you'll be glad to get back to the grocery store and an American kitchen although you certainly have adapted well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how that works! Makes the time we have that more precious knowing it's ending soon. But I definitely am looking forward to being literate again. My adaptation in the kitchen has been to not go in there much at all!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe it's almost time for you to come home! It looks like you've made wonderful memories and friends so an adventure well played :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.