Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mini Book Reviews (2)

I have been epic failing when it comes to reviewing all the books I read, so if I get too far behind I am just going to do mini reviews and call it good!

Paranormality (nonfiction) by Richard Wiseman

paranormality

I read this one for my skeptic book club.

Richard Wiseman is a psychologist in Britain who studies psychological nature of perceiving the paranormal. There are stories and even activities to help you develop your cold reading skills, magic trick skills, and even how to have out of body experiences, and freak yourself out in a low-light bathroom!

A Mango-shaped Space (young adult) by Wendy Mass

mango

I read this one for another book club.

This story focuses on Mia, who's a teen with synesthesia. She sees colors when she hears sound and sees letters and numbers. She must come to terms with her synesthesia and the death of her grandfather. It's a heart-warming story about loving who you are and dealing with grief.

Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5-billion-year History of the Human Body (nonfiction) by Neil Shubin

inner fish

I read this for skeptic book club.

A fascinating read by a paleontologist into the history of where our human bodies come from. Fish! The chapters are easy to read and so fascinating. I recommend this one to all.

Coraline (young adult) by Neil Gaiman

coraline

I read this one with my 4-year-old son Gabe. He's still getting used to chapter books, but when he listened he really enjoyed it. I thought it might scare him a bit but so far no nightmares!

Coraline moves into a new house with her workaholic parents. She wishes she had homemade meals and more time with her parents and even the neighbors are weird. She soon finds a hidden doorway into a new world where there are doubles of her parents and all of the neighbors. Her other mother is very nice but Coraline is skeptical. When she decides she doesn't want to come back the other mother kidnaps her parents. It's up to Coraline to rescue her parents and release the souls of other trapped children.

It's creepy but oh so entertaining!

Stuart Little (children's fiction) by E.B. White

stuart little

I also read this one with my son. But I didn't like this. I love Charlotte's Web! But this one left me scratching my head and wondering what in the world the point was? She expected me to buy Stuart Little as a person that just happened to be a mouse, but the rest of the world wasn't quite set up enough for me to do that. Then it ended very anti-climatically and with no real resolution. I felt that I only read half the book.

But maybe she just meant it for kids who wouldn't ask such questions? But I feel that the stories that stand the test of time are the ones that appeal to all. This one didn't.




4 comments:

  1. Your Inner Fish! That sounds like such a cool book :) I don't believe I've ever heard of that one but I'll be keeping my eyes open now.

    I loooooved Stuart Little when I was a kid. Not as much as Charlotte's Web of course, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I would have liked it as a kid but Stuart Little didn't translate well to my adult self. Oh well. Inner Fish is great! Hope you read it soon :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to sharing more grown up books with Gage. I don't think I've ever read Stuart Little. But who knows, Gage has a much better memory that I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabe still isn't quite into those longer chapter books but I've sneaked in 3 with him only half listening!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.