Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day 2013


I awoke to a fabulous cuisine of....Reese's Peanut Butter cups and peach rings! And an adorable card drawn by Gabe at preschool along with a cute decorated planter and plant.

2013-05-13 16.22.31


We headed over to Denny's for some Mother's Day brunch and coffee.

mother's day


Then it was over the local splash park for some fun with water. Just a relaxing afternoon with Gabe and Archie. It's Spring and so I decided to put in my flower barrette that my beautiful friend Sarah made for me back in February and my Spring dress.

2013-05-12 14.42.24


2013-05-12 14.45.11


momdayedit


It was a gorgeous day and we spent the rest of it with my mother and my sister's, bbqing and talking and eating dessert while Gabe ran amok with his cousin Mailia!

I wanted to say some other things about Mother's Day. I know this is a day that can cause a lot of distress and anxiety for so many women. If you are a woman who's never wanted children of her own, it can be a day of judgment and misunderstanding. If you have lost a child it can be a day of depression and anger. If you don't have enough children or too many or don't have a "normal" family, it can cause the day to be quite stressful.

I go back and forth on this because I'm not the most nurturing of mothers. I don't fit that typical role. It's tough and because it's so damn tough for me, Archie and I have chosen to only have Gabe. And sometimes this day causes anxiety for me because I feel guilty. I shouldn't have a day lavished on me because I don't fit the "role" or whatever. It's dumb but they're feelings and they affect me.

But I try to think about how I care about people in general. I empathize, I want the world to be a better place. I love my son and my friends and my family. I have cats. I nurture them. I have plants outside on my porch that I try to nurture (some days are better than others). I try to nurture my friends' kids. My point is I think most of us (men too) are nurturers. We "mother" things, people, Earth, etc. I think it's a day to celebrate life and the nurturing of that life in whatever form that takes.

MotherGoddessEarth


Happy nurturing and life day to all :)

4 comments:

  1. > We "mother" things, people, Earth, etc. I think it's a day to celebrate life and the nurturing of that life in whatever form that takes.

    That was really beautifully put--thanks for this post! This fall our nest will be empty and those plants and pets will be getting lots of attention.

    Looks like you had a lovely Mother's Day! The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I hear you! I always feel some guilt when my posts about motherhood aren't mushy and glowing. That's not my reality.
    Great post, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jane, thank you! It was a pretty good day.

    @Lisa, hope yours was wonderful too!

    @Stacy, it's comforting to know we're not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.