Thursday, August 19, 2010

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Genre: classic, historical fiction, Victorian England
FTC Disclosure: bought from Barnes and Noble
Published: 1854
Pages: 422
Content: PG

Gaskell gives a beautiful and poignant look at the merchant sector of the time in England. Margaret is from the South and a lady and is forced to move to Milton with her parents due to his loss of faith as a clergyman.

Margaret soon learns to see things from a different perspective as she lives among those who aren't of her "class."

There also is a bit of romance in here between her and the local cotton mill owner Mr. Thornton...!

The characters are engrossing. The story moves along at a steady pace. The only thing that was irksome were all the literary references that I have no clue about! It's only due to my own ignorance, though. Luckily, my copy had a few endnotes to help me out!

I can see why this is a classic! Oh, and the movie is superb as well, if anyone desires to see it.

Rating: 4/5 stars

I also recommend watching the newest version of North and South by BBC. It's brilliant!

4 comments:

  1. I have watched the mini-series, but have yet to read the novel! I really need to get to it one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to see the mini series. It's been on my list forever.
    I can see how lots of references that you didn't 'get' would be irksome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, I must have been living under a rock. I had never heard of this until I started blogging. And I love the classics. I really do need to get this book! And apparently the movie, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the book, but the movie is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.