Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Genre: southern fiction
FTC Disclosure: bought used from Amazon.com
Published: 1987
Pages: 416
Content: PG-13 for violence, language, and adult themes
  
While I enjoyed the movie better, the book is still a beautiful tale of women finding out who they are.

I fell in love with the town of Whistle Stop. It's the kind of town you just wish you'd been apart of.

We follow Evelyn in the present time as she meets Ninny Threadgoode who begins to tell her about Idgie and Ruth and their times in Whistle Stop. Evelyn, throughout the story, makes her own journey like Idgie and Ruth to find herself by taking her own life into her hands, to make her own fate instead of others deciding for her.

The novel jumps around a lot from the POV of different people in Whistle Stop through newspaper articles as well as third person narrative as well as Ninny's narrative. Sometimes it got a bit confusing since there were so many characters to follow.

There are also plenty of themes running through the book: lesbianism, sexism and women's rights, racism, etc. I didn't agree with everything Flagg had to say, but I enjoyed the journey of listening to it anyway.


Rating: 4/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. I just read my first Fannie Flagg and enjoyed it. I remember seeing this movie when it came out, but it's been so long I remember little about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked both the book and the movie though the book has more to say about Idgie and Ruth. But the movie has some of the best scenes. "Secrets in the sauce" Is that in the book? I can't remember.

    My favorite Fannie Flagg is Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I haven't read this book before-I loved the movie. Your review makes me want to read it right now! (Did you see that there is going to be an Everything Austen II challenge?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you on this one. I love the movie so much, it would have been hard for the book to measure up. But I did feel like the book gave me a better understanding of Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read the book, but love the movie. Thanks for visiting me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been curious about this book. Maybe I'll see the movie first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flagg is one author I've been wanting to read for a while. I haven't seen the movie, so maybe I'll read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent heard of the book before, it does sounds okay. I really like the cover. And the town sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen the movie either but this sounds like a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way! When I read the book, I was also disappointed that it didn't quite live up to the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.