Sunday, February 13, 2022

Week-in-Review: The Big 1-3!

G's birthday was Wednesday. The big 13! I can't believe where the time has gone. I officially have a teenager now. I am going to keep enjoying the hugs he lets me give him, the books we read at night, and the songs and lullabies he lets me sing. One day I know he'll say he's too old for all that...So I'm going to enjoy it and savor it as long as I can. They grow up so quickly...

He chose sushi for his dinner and ice cream cake for dessert. On the weekend he invited his best friend over for a sleepover filled with pizza, cupcakes, and lots and lots of video games. He's in heaven. 

This week is Valentine's Day. I've got candy and cards for my two boys and for dessert I'll be making crème brulee. DH and don't usually celebrate Vday. Our anniversary is in December and then our son's birthday in February and DH's birthday in March. It just gets too crazy. So nothing big but just a little something to mark the occasion.

2022-02-09 22.00.29-2

2022-02-09 22.00.30

Currently Reading:

Cibola Burn (The Expanse #4) by James S.A. Corey


The Proposal
by Jasmine Guillory

Immune: A Journey into the Mysterious System that Keeps You Alive by Philipp Dettmer

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

The Once and Future King by T.H. White 

Lockwood & Co.: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud (with G)

I have plans to read The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. du Bois this month as well.

Books Read:

Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse #3) by James S.A. Corey/ 2013/ 593 Pages/ Paperback

Goodreads Summary:

For generations, the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt - was humanity's great frontier. Until now. The alien artefact working through its program under the clouds of Venus has emerged to build a massive structure outside the orbit of Uranus: a gate that leads into a starless dark.

Jim Holden and the crew of the Rocinante are part of a vast flotilla of scientific and military ships going out to examine the artefact. But behind the scenes, a complex plot is unfolding, with the destruction of Holden at its core. As the emissaries of the human race try to find whether the gate is an opportunity or a threat, the greatest danger is the one they brought with them.

My Thoughts:

The first half is a bit slow. Not a lot happens the first half of the book but it really picks up towards the end and it's quite the payoff! There were two new characters introduced in this one and I had a really hard time with their chapters. One comes around at the end. And the other one makes more sense as a character to represent aspects of humanity on a whole.

There are quite a few differences between this book and the TV series. Events and people change but the plot overall remains intact. I'm still making up my mind on how I like the changes...


Nothing But Blackened Teeth
by Cassandraw Khaw/ 2021/ 124 Pages/ Horror/ Library/ Hardcover

Goodreads Summary:

A Heian-era mansion stands abandoned, its foundations resting on the bones of a bride and its walls packed with the remains of the girls sacrificed to keep her company.

It’s the perfect wedding venue for a group of thrill-seeking friends.

But a night of food, drinks, and games quickly spirals into a nightmare. For lurking in the shadows is the ghost bride with a black smile and a hungry heart.

And she gets lonely down there in the dirt.

My Thoughts:

"There was no timeline where he wouldn't have escalated, wouldn't have found a knife or a gun or a jag of glass. Something heavy enough to breach the skull, pulp the brain into paste. He swung as I staggered to my feet, a scream loaded in my lungs. No artistry to the swoop of his arm but a knife is a knife is a knife is a sharp edge meant to split the seams of the skin, open up the torso and let in the light."

There are quite a few of these masterful gems throughout this very short horror story. But not all was this masterful. Sometimes the sentences were a bit clunky. And the logic of the characters was a bit much. But overall, this was a delightful horror story. A play on horror stereotypes. Lots of great Japanese imagery of dark moist forests with old shoji-type castles. And the ghosts. Yes. Just a perfect combo.

If you enjoy a good scare, do not hesitate to pick this up and spend a couple hours or so reading with the lights low...

Movies Watched:


Nightmare Alley (2021): Directed by Guillermo del Toro. Starring: Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett

Plot: An ambitious carny with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more dangerous than he is.

My Thoughts: Beautiful sets and costumes and the impending doom kept me going. But overall, I was rather disappointed in the hollowness of the story.


The Green Knight
(2021): Written and Directed by David Lowery. Starring: Dev Patel and Alicia Vikander.

Plot: 

An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

My Thoughts:

I loved watching this movie. Atmospheric and mysterious. There are lots of layers to this one. And it's heavily focused on life and death and how we go about having a good one, life and death. Plus, it's a new take on that medieval chivalric poem of Sir Gawain, King Arthur, and Christmas! Just a gorgeous, meditative movie. It's one I'll be rewatching yearly.

TV Watched:


Murderville
(Netflix): This is an American remake of the BBC television show Murder in Successville. It combines scripted comedy with improv and stars Will Arnett as Detective Seattle who gains a new partner (celebrity guest) each episode. They must solve the murder!

This was right up my alley. I love a good improv and I think it mostly worked well. I binge-watched all the episodes on a Friday night and was not disappointed.

The Expanse (Amazon Prime): I just finished off the first season. I've watched up through the fourth but it's been too long and I just started reading the books so...finally catching up and it's a lot of fun to watch and read it all together. I know they ended it at season six but there are 9 books and tons of novellas. I'll be really interested to know how they finished it off. With the books? Or something completely different?


After Life
(Netflix): Ricky Gervais' little gem. Third and final season out and it was a brilliant end. Grief, loneliness, purpose, love. It's not for everyone but man it was good.


Joining up with Deb from Readerbuzz and her Sunday Salon.

22 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to G! Thirteen was a big turning point for my kids. Take all the hugs you can get; stock up.

    I've been curious about the improv show. I didn't realize it was a series. I'm pretty sure my husband will like it.

    You've got a lot of good books in your stack. I hope you are enjoying them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, thank you!
      Improv is not for some but for some weird reason I really enjoy it. It can be comic gold.

      Delete
  2. Hard to believe G is a teenager now... time flies! He's growing up SO fast. You're wise to savor every moment. We keep Valentine's Day pretty simple around here, but love the idea of making crème brulee. I've never tried to make it before.

    Also, that cover of Nothing But Blackened Teeth is truly horrifying! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to G!

    I just came across a brief version of The Green Knight when I listened to At the Crossing Places by Kevin Crossley-Holland. I'd be interested in reading or seeing a longer version.

    I hadn't heard of Murderville but we do like Will Arnett. We'll give it a try.

    I liked Lockwood & Co. when I listened to it a few years ago. The narrator wasn't my favorite so I do plan to continue the series but I'll read it in print.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book takes place in England but a lot of terms they use are American. If the narrator is American I'd be annoyed! That's too bad the audio version is terrible.

      I hope you like Murderville! It's silly but it was just what I needed.

      Delete
  4. Great that you have a still-pleasant teenager. I think the worst teenager in my family history is me. Even my granddaughters are almost out of the teens by now (well, one is actually out). So we’ll be free of it for a long time.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still pleasant, for sure. I am not looking forward to the more moody years! lol. Glad you are out of that phase!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to G! Ice cream cake is the best. :-) We aren't big on celebrating Valentine's Day either, although I do try to do a little something for my daughter. I got both her and my husband books for the occasion this year. I hope you are enjoying your current reads! The Proposal is on my list to read. I caught a trailer for for Murderville yesterday and was thinking it looked fun. I will have to give it a try. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all love the go-to ice cream cake in our house!

      I hope you enjoy Murderville!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to G! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really celebrate Vday because my birthday is close to it as well. Happy Birthday to G.
    I been wanting to see the Green Knight since it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your teen ;-)
    Ooo, now I really want to see Green Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your son, they really do grow up so quickly!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do! Too fast sometimes. Have a great reading week too. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Wow 13! That's a big birthday! Congrats to your son. Cupcakes are heaven, right? We are thinking about getting Netflix for the Ricky Gervais series ... hope it's excellent. funny & sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Ricky Gervais is both--wicked, sweet, and of course, funny. I was bawling at the end for quite a bit! lol.

      Yes, 13 is big! So crazy to officially have a teenager in the house. And yes to cupcakes. Yum.

      Delete
  11. I can't believe Gabe is 13! Ours boys are growing up so fast. I'm glad to know hugs and quality mom time are still appreciated :) We watched the first episode of Murderville and thought it was fun. I'm sure we'll get the rest soon. I'm adding The Green Knight to our watchlist. It's always good to find things Jason and I both like watching together. We used to celebrate Valentine's Day by going out, but covid has changed the way we do things around here and we haven't gotten back on track quite yet.

    stacybuckeye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get so big so quickly! I can't believe he's already 13 as well. It's been surreal...

      I really think you'll like The Green Knight! I sure hope you do. I'll keep an eye on a review!

      I think dining in on Valentine's Day is the way to go. With Covid and the crowds it's just too much and I don't know if we'll change that anytime soon!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.