Saturday, February 5, 2022

Not So Quick End-of-2021 Update...

I don't have much of an excuse other than life really got away from me starting in October with the death of my father-in-law...whew. I kept my head above water just by doing what needed doing and unfortunately writing on my blog fell by the wayside. I am slowly crawling my way back into it! Yay me. 

But I have to pare down. I enjoy my Cat Thursday posts so I'll try to keep those going each week and then an end of week post...which may be every other week depending on the week. Something doable for a little while and then hopefully I'll get my groove back! lol.

We are looking forward to G's 13th birthday! What? I can't believe how time flies. He wants money to get a new game for his VR, something to physically open, and sushi for dinner. Can't complain about that. I even asked him if he wanted me to bake him a cake and he told me he'd rather have an ice cream cake...so I don't even have to do that! He is going to have a friend over for a sleepover and pizza. So I will bake him some birthday cupcakes!

Now onto my end of 2021 update...

I read 119 books in 2021. 

39 were children's/middle/young adult books. 

35 non-fiction books.

11 were classics (as well as modern).

39 were by non-white authors.

Over half were by women. 

I had a great reading year. I don't know if I'll read as much as I did last year. Only time will tell. 

Favorite reads: These are the ones that just stood out as I looked back over my list.

  • The End of Everything: Astrophysically Speaking by Katie Mack. Her down-to-earth style of how the universe could literally end was fun and so fascinating. I love to get a few astronomy books in a year and this one was top.
  • The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Just what I needed for one of my first reads of the year. A haunting yet beautiful tale in the Alaskan frontier.
  • The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James. The way she blended two time lines and how they finally meet was really quite something. Her bits of magic throughout are also haunting. 
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. A beautiful and lyrical memoir and combining all of this knowledge together to connect ourselves to each other, the earth, and everything else.
  • Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism by Amanda Montell. I loved everything about this book from the big cults to the little ones...I'm looking at you CrossFit and Peleton...it combined my love of language and cults all in one.
  • Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I loved this book so much. So much heart and humanity and sciencing the shit out of everything.
  • The Memory Thief and the Secrets Behind How We Remember: A Medical Mystery by Lauren Aguirre. This one opened my mind up on how certain type of drugs can affect our memories and also philosophically memories literally make us who we are and without them who are we? Loved how she combined science and a real medical mystery to discuss it all.
  • My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Grahame Jones. This was brutal, poignant, and so lovely. His sequel comes out this fall! Eeek!
  • The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis. An open wound on how we didn't respond to the pandemic and he exposes the system and how it really is setup for failure. Brutal but needed.
  • The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward. I've been telling everyone to listen to this mind-blowing novel! Do it. The less you know the better.
Favorite Movies and TV shows: This one is really hard but I'll do my best...
  • Free Guy: I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was...lots of philosophical stuff on free will and destiny and love.
  • Black Widow: Loved everything. Funny and full of action.
  • The Night House: Can Rebecca Hall do wrong? Well, maybe but this one was a knockout. Layers of grief, horror, all the stuff of nightmares.
  • Midnight Mass on Netflix. So so creepy and quite the philosophical reversal. Loved it. It's one I'll rewatch yearly or close to it.
  • Loki on Disney+. Disney is killing it with their TV shows from the marvel world.
  • Luca. Hands down one of the best movies all year.
  • Mare of Easttown on HBO was sooooo good.
  • A Quiet Place II. Fantastic sequel. Can't wait for the final instalment!
  • The Investigation: HBO docudrama on the investigation of Kim Wall's murder. Brilliant.
  • Promising Young Woman: Brutal but I couldn't look away.
  • Nomadland: Raw and just so human and beautiful. It's a must-see.
  • Wolfwalkers: I lied this one is at the top or just under Luca.
  • Sound of Metal. Brilliant performance by Riz Ahmed.
  • Summer of Soul (...or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised): Best documentary. It's on Hulu. Go watch it now.
  • Mayday. Such a great film. Beautiful and haunting Indie.
  • Ted Lasso on Apple. That is the feel-good TV series of a life-time.
That was a mouthful!

We all had a great Solstice, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. We met up with our friends in an Air Bnb for a few days to celebrate and see each other! It's been two years! They moved up to Washington a few years ago and so we've made an effort to get together at least once a year but then the pandemic... So it was great to see them again. The weather was terrible and the drive even worse but it was worth it. I think we'll try Spring or Fall instead next time!

2021-12-30 09.18.54
Our snowed in status all week!

2021-12-31 18.27.22
Playing games and getting crazy

2022-01-02 18.29.46-2
Teenagers, anyone? lol

Books read in January:



Where the Dead Go to Die
by Aaron Dries and Mark Allan Gunnells/ 2016/ 197 pages/ Kindle

Goodreads Summary:

There are monsters in this world. And they used to be us. Now it's time to euthanize to survive in a hospice where Emily, a woman haunted by her past, only wants to do her job and be the best mother possible.

Post-infection Chicago. Christmas.

Inside The Hospice, Emily and her fellow nurses do their rounds. Here, men and women live out their final days in comfort, segregated from society, and are then humanely terminated before fate turns them into marrow-craving monsters known as ‘Smilers.’ Outside these imposing walls, rabid protesters swarm with signs, caught up in the heat of their hatred.

Emily, a woman haunted by her past, only wants to do her job and be the best mother possible. But in a world where mortality means nothing, where guns are drawn in fear and nobody seems safe anymore – at what cost will this pursuit come? And through it all, the soon to be dead remain silent, ever smiling. Such is their curse.

This emotional, political novel comes from two of horror’s freshest voices, and puts a new spin on an eternal topic: the undead. In the spirit of George A Romero meets Jack Ketchum, Where the Dead Go to Die it is an unforgettable epilogue to the zombie genre, one that will leave you shaken and questioning right from wrong…even when it’s the only right left.

It won't be long before that snow-speckled ground will be salted by blood.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this take on the zombie genre...what if the incubation time took a really long time to "turn" people into actual brain-eating/wanna-eat-your-flesh creatures? This world it took them a little bit of time to realize this so a lot of almost-zombies died in the process, which upset their families, which in turn upset the politicians, etc. 

We join this world through Emily and her daughter and a special hospice facility where the turned go to live out their last days before they are "humanely killed" before they turn into the zombies we all know and "love." Lots of questions get brought up about what happens if we get too complacent about the monsters under our beds...? 

My only complaints are it was just too short. It really was a small slice into this world and I wanted more, more, and more. Also, the story takes place in the U.S. but the terms were British soooo...that also threw me out of the story. So I was left a bit disappointed overall. But I would still recommend it to anyone who loves a good zombie story. 


Leviathan Wakes
by James S.A. Corey /2011/ 561 pages/ Paperback

Goodreads Summary:

Humanity has colonized the solar system—Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond—but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, the Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for—and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to the Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations—and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

My Thoughts:

This is my third reading. And it is still as good as the other two times. Great start to space opera that is the world of The Expanse. The TV show on Prime is really great as well and the series and the books are both great and different in their own ways. So if you love sci-fi that is more on the dramatic side this one is for you.


Serafina and the Splintered Heart by Robert Beatty/ 2017/ 357 pages/ library

Goodreads Summary:

The storms are coming....

Something has happened to Serafina. She has awoken into a darkness she does not understand, scarred from a terrible battle, only to find that life at Biltmore Estate has changed in unimaginable ways. Old friends do unthinkable things and enemies seem all around.

A mysterious threat moves towards Biltmore, a force without a name, bringing with it violent storms and flooding that stands to uproot everything in its path. Serafina must uncover the truth about what has happened to her and find a way to harness her strange new powers before it's too late.

With only days to achieve the impossible, Serafina fights to reclaim herself as the Guardian of Biltmore, friend of Braeden, daughter of her Pa, and heroine of the Blue Ridge Mountains and all the folk and creatures that call it home.

My Thoughts:

This is the third book in the Serafina series. G and I have been reading them together and we both love them! Serafina and friend Braeden get into all sorts of troubles and this book is no different. Serafina's soul and body have been ripped into pieces by black magic and it's up to her, Braeden, and new friends and old foes to get her back together again and defeat the evil sorcerer. Beatty provides a haunting and beautiful background in the Blue Mountains at the turn of the 20th century. Great characters and mysteries abound. 


T: The Story of Testosterone and How it Dominates and Divides Us
by Carole Hooven/ 2021/ 357 pages/ Scribd

Goodreads Summary:

Testosterone: Misunderstood. Mythologized. Controversial.

A Harvard evolutionary biologist debunks the myths and cultural stereotypes surrounding testosterone and reveals its far-reaching effects on gender and sexuality, sports, relationships, and many more aspects of our everyday lives.

The biological source of virility and masculinity has inspired fascination, investigation, and controversy since antiquity. From the eunuchs in the royal courts of ancient China to the booming market for “elixirs” of youth in nineteenth-century Europe, humans have been obsessed with identifying and manipulating what we now know as testosterone. And the trends show no signs of slowing down—the modern market for testosterone supplements is booming. Thanks to this history and the methods of modern science, today we have a rich body of research about testosterone’s effects in both men and women.

The science is clear: testosterone is a major, invisible player in our relationships, sex lives, athletic abilities, childhood play, gender transitions, parenting roles, violent crime, and so much more. But there is still a lot of pushback to the idea that it does, in fact, cause sex differences and significantly influence behavior.

Carole Hooven argues in T that acknowledging testosterone as a potent force in society doesn’t reinforce stifling gender norms or patriarchal values. Testosterone and evolution work together to produce a huge variety of human behavior, and that includes a multitude of ways to be masculine or feminine. Understanding the science sheds light on how we work and relate to one another, how we express anger and love, and how we can fight bias and problematic behavior to build a more fair society.

My Thoughts:

Loved this book. She's very clear and concise. She provides tons of science and the stories behind them. She doesn't have all the answers nor does she try to. But it's an open discussion with the science to begin. One of my favorite science books I've read in a long time.


Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition
by Jane Austen and edited by Patricia Meyer Spacks/ 2010/ 442 pages/ Hardcover

Goodreads Summary:

'Vanity, not love, has been my folly'

When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited; he is indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.

My Thoughts:

Reading an annotated edition of Pride and Prejudice was pure joy! So many little insights into the culture and archaic words. And insight into what Austen might have meant with certain phrases or reasons why certain characters may have said or done certain things. Pure joy. This is one that will be reread time and again!

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey/ 2012/ 595 pages/ Paperback


Goodreads Summary:

We are not alone.

On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system.

In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun . . .

My Thoughts:

This is the second book in The Expanse series and it's almost as good as the first! Lots of action and two new characters that I love! Yes.


Joining up with Deb from Readerbuzz and her Sunday Salon.

23 comments:

  1. I have started trying to read more Jane Austen and classics in general. I have not read Pride and Prejudice yet, I am hoping to read Northanger Abbey this month. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is so fun. But Persuasion has to be my favorite. But all of them are worth reading. I hope you enjoy Northanger Abbey this month.

      Delete
  2. You had a good reading year, and I enjoyed some of the TV you mentioned too. Mare of Easttown was one of our favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I was able to cram in this year! Right? Mare of Easttown was so good. Glad to find a fellow fan.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry life has been getting in the way. And teen years were a struggle for me. I tried to keep reminding myself that they could not help themselves. And I told myself that they would come out of it. Eventually.

    I'm reading Braiding Sweetgrass over three months with my naturalist group, and...wow. It's amazing, I agree.

    You've reminded me that I want to watch Ted Lasso. If only I had Apple TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just get it for a month and binge it all when the new season comes out! Ha! It's such a great show. I hope you can watch it soon.

      Delete
  4. Couldn't add Where The Dead Go To Die to my TBR fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I hope you really like it! It was different and worth the read.

      Delete
  5. An annotated edition of Jane Austen would annoy me, I think. I've read her books over and over, and seen many of the TV and film interpretations. Recently I saw a Northanger Abbey that I really liked. I even liked Clueless (the movie, not the TV). Everyone has different views on how to reinterpret the classics!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there's so many things that I just don't know about her time period and it's nice to have it right there on the side to see. I love all things annotated. I enjoy the TV adaptations as well. There are so many great Austen-inspired books and media.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. I don't think I knew he passed away. I disappeared from my blog for about 6 weeks at the end of the year, but it was just general busyness.

    Happy birthday to your son!

    We read several of the same books. I've seen The Sun Down Motel around quite a bit but haven't taken the time to see what it's about. I'm adding that, The Last House on Needless Street, and Where the Dead Go to Die to my TBR. I'm not a huge science fiction reader but Leviathan Wakes did make it onto my TBR recently and I joined a small science fiction reading challenge. I have vague intentions to read it this year but it's so big, I may change my mind!

    I love seeing the Seraphina books on blogs. I live close to the Biltmore House so it's fun to read about a place I'm so familiar with. But I've only read the first book in the series myself!

    I did not realize that A Quiet Place was going to be a trilogy. And thanks for the reminder to watch Luca. We love Disney/Pixar movies but I just keep forgetting about that one!

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sun Down Motel is quite good. I was pleasantly surprised by how it all came together in the end.

      Oh wow! I love that you live close to the Biltmore House. My son and I just love the stories and the characters and its creepy vibe. So cool!

      I hope you get to Luca! So good.

      Thanks for visiting! Glad to be back hopefully for awhile now!!! fingers crossed.

      Delete
  7. You had a really good reading year in 2021 and it sounds like 2022 is off to a sold start! I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, but know exactly what you mean about just doing what needed doing. My FIL died last month and that's exactly what we're doing now. Hope you can find a blogging routine that works for you. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to all the books this year. Stay safe!

      Delete
  8. Life does have a way of getting in the way, doesn't it? Just do what you can and be gentle with yourself. I hope G has a wonderful birthday. Ice cream cakes are my favorite. They really do grow up too fast. Mine will be 11 next month. I have been interested in trying Robert Beatty's series.

    I hope you have a good week and February!

    I haven't read any of your favorites from last year, although several are ones I would like to read: The Sun Down Motel, The Snow Child, and Cultish in particular. Ted Lasso is so good, isn't it? And I really am enjoying the Disney+ Marvel shows.

    The annotated version of Pride and Prejudice sounds wonderful. I hadn't really thought of reading my favorite classics that way, but I think it would be fun. Definitely add to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life sure does! And the kids grow up way too fast, that's for sure.

      I hope you get a chance on the Serafina series. It really is a good one.

      I hope you get to Cultish this year. It was really well done.

      I do try to read without annotations the first go around but rereadings can always use a bit more context or info and insight. I really enjoy them.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I just started the Expanse S5 so it's neat to see the books show up. I see a few books on your list that I want to read as well.

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the first four seasons and then I decided to read the books before I continued. SO now I'm finally reading the books. Love the series!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Welcome back! I know how real life can get in the way. Midnight Mass was surprisingly good.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right? Midnight Mass was a delight. Very thinky and scary and I loved it.

      Have a great week as well!

      Delete
  11. Yay so glad you're back, even if slowly. So sorry about last October, that's tough. I like your year-end 2021 lists -- you had a good reading year. You read many various kinds of books ... so it's always cool to see. I liked The Snow Child too quite a bit. Is your son really 13 now?! Wow that's crazy. Hope he's enjoying his school. Love the new snow pic, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So behind (obviously). I love that you were able to meet your friends at an Air BnB. What a fantastic idea. You had a great reading and watching year. We just watched A Quiet Place II this week, I didn't realize there was going to be one more! Yay!

    stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the third Quiet Place comes out next year! I'm very excited.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.