Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Mini Movie Reviews: The Peanut Butter Falcon

I am finally getting back to movie reviews! Well, mini ones, at least.

Source
Storyline:  A look at how Alabam attorney Bryan Stevenson struggles to create more fairness in the legal system. 

My Thoughts: I was disheartened and enlightened by this documentary. There are people fighting the good fight. But the system is so broken and corrupt.

Source

Storyline: The gang is back but the game has changed. As they return to rescue one of their own, the players will have to brave parts unknown from arid deserts to snowy mountains, to escape the world's most dangerous game.

Tagline: The next level.

My Thoughts: Not as good as the first one but I still enjoyed the new characters and adventures. Awkwafina rules!

Source
Storyline: A pop singer's songs and artistic identity have been stolen by her ex-boyfriend/manager and shamelessly pasted onto his new girlfriend/protege. Locked together in a small concert venue after hours, the three of them confront the emotional abuses of the past...until things turn violent.

My Thoughts: As it does in every Into the Dark episode from Hulu things get pretty crazy really fast. It's not one of their better ones but it's worth a watch. Revenge is sweet.

Source
Storyline: A Chinese family discovers their grandmother has only a short while left to live and decide to keep her in the dark, scheduling a wedding to gather before she dies.

Tagline: Based on an Actual Lie.

My Thoughts: I loved this movie. Awkwafina continues to show her acting chops. And I loved the ethical quandaries of whether or not to let their mother/grandmother know. Sweet and beautiful. I really wish it had gotten more award buzz.

Source
Storyline: Sarah, a socially isolated woman with a fondness for arts and crafts, horses, and supernatural crime shows fins her increasingly lucid dreams trickling into her waking life.

My Thoughts: It was interesting. But I didn't know what it was trying to say. As someone who deals with family who has schizophrenia, I didn't like what it implied. The actors were great but the material was not there, unfortunately.

Source

Storyline: Zak runs away from his care home to make his dream of becoming a wrestler come true.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this coming-of-age story with Zak. He was truly a delight. We get to see Shia LeBeouf gain some perspective too along the way. Though the romance was forced, it didn't detract from the overall feel-good story.