Monday, March 9, 2020

February Wrap-Up

February was busy busy! G had his birthday. Eleven years old. I can't believe it. He took some friends to the local trampoline park. Cupcakes were made. Fun was had! Then the week after that we went to the grandparents' house for a little family party.

2020-02-28 10.15.29


Spring is popping up slowly but surely! It's a lot warmer, though we are still getting a few snowstorms. But last weekend was very nice with temps in the mid-60s. But I have hope since my crocuses and tulips are starting to spring up!

2020-02-23 15.19.33
G climbed the big jungle gym and made it to the top!


To finish off the month I and my lady friends hit the local karaoke bar and lit it up! It was so much fun to get out--literally, out of the house. Ha! I have been hibernating since January. I even made it to a movie with another friend yesterday! Emma! I loved it. Another great adaptation.

2020-02-29 10.54.43
                           



7 Books Read:
  • In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
  • Pet by Akwaeke Emezi
  • Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix
  • In the Woods by Tana French
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators by Ronan Farrow (This was a very tough read. In line to pick up G from school, I bawled like a baby... I need to read some funny books this month)
  • The Courtier and the Heretic: Spinoza, Leibniz, and the Fate of God in the Modern World by Matthew Stewart


2 Books Listened to:
  • Midnight Son by James Dommeck, Jr. on Audible.
  • Red at the Bone by Jaqueline Woodson


Watched:

TV:

  • Ares on Netflix. It's a Dutch series and it is phenomenal. It's creepy and mysterious but has a fantastic ending. Each episode is less than 30 minutes so it's very bingeable and highly entertaining!
  • The World According to Jeff Goldblum on Disney+. It's a fun docuseries on various topics like how tennis shoes are made, ice cream, to bicycles. All done with the Goldblum charm and curiosity!

Movies:

Source

  • True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight for Equality. Super sad but important.
  • Jumanji: The Next Level
  • Into the Dark: My Valentine
  • The Farewell. Another favorite. Should've done better during awards season.
  • Horse Girl
  • The Peanut Butter Falcon. My favorite last month. So cute.
  • All three Lord of the Rings movies. G finally watched these with us. He had basketball practice that next Wednesday and while defending he yelled: "You shall not pass!" Yes! He gets it! lol.





Made:

2020-03-07 16.23.04
I finally finished G's blanket! I technically just finished it like March but I'm including it now cuz I am so freakin' proud of myself for finally finishing this thing off! It took over a year and some help from my fellow crocheting neighbors. Thanks, ladies!

2020-03-07 16.25.50

Reading Goals:

I'm all over the map right now! My main goals are to finish The Histories by Herodotus this month and reread Little Women the annotated version. I'm also trying to get one classic book read each month so I have some catching up to do. I think I'll add some re-reads as well. After watching Emma yesterday I am in the mood to read me some Jane Austen again!

Currently Reading:

  • The Histories by Herodotus
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Parting the Waters: Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement 1954-1963 by Taylor Branch
  • Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce
  • The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (reading with G and we should finish this month)
  • Warren the 13th and the Thirteen-year Curse by Tania del Rio (sent for free in exchange for a review and reading aloud with G)
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen (I just can't get enough of human pandemics, apparently)



Currently listening to:

I'm not currently listening to anything right now book-wise but I have been listening to lots of podcasts. I'm trying to stay current on news and politics.

I have plans to listen to "Freedom Is a Constant Struggle" by Angela Y. Davis, "Furiously Happy" by Jenny Lawson, "We Are Never Meeting in Real Life" by Samantha Irby. And maybe a couple of others but that's all I want to commit to right now!

Looking forward to:

DH's birthday is Wednesday! We'll be hitting a nice spot to eat and celebrating with some ice cream cake from Coldstone. Then Saturday we'll be celebrating with friends, drinks, and food!

St. Patrick's Day and the Spring equinox are coming up next week. I plan on making some special food like bangers and mash, and soda bread. And maybe some blonde Guinness since neither of us enjoy the dark kind.

I'm hoping for better weather soon so I can get into my little garden and weed, trim, and plant!