Monday, November 12, 2018

Nonfiction November 2018-- Become the Expert


Nonfiction November is here (though I'm a week late...) and runs from Oct. 30-Nov. 30. Is being hosted by Doing Dewey, Julz ReadsSarah's BookshelvesSophisticated Dorkiness, and What's Nonfiction?

The third week's discussion post for Nonfiction November is Be/Ask/Become the Expert where you share three or more books that'll help you along to that expert status. I'm choosing Become the Expert this year! I've got a lot on my TBR in various categories so I'll just stick to one category. It's pretty broad but history is my topic.

These Truths: A History of the United States of America by Jill Lepore. I've heard this is a great all-around general history that's not afraid to talk about how America has been built on the backs of slaves and genocide. Let's get it all in the context it unfolded.

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan. I hear this one is also a different focused world history and helps add context to a more concise history of Europe and the West.

Woman's Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote by Elaine Weiss. I've been wanting to read this all year on the U.S.'s fight to win the women's right to vote. I saw Iron-Jawed Angels and have been wanting to read more on this important history.

American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund S. Morgan. Morgan focuses on this specific time in history rather than the whole of U.S. history to present day. This has been recommended by Ta-Nehisi Coates and so it's been on my radar for a little while now.

The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein. Another microhistory of America and how it continues to shape America today.

The Unwomanly Face of War: An Oral History of Women in World War II by Svetlana Alexievich. Fascinating stories of Russian women from World War II.



14 comments:

  1. The Silk Roads is on my TBR pile.
    I'm also keen to read White Mountain: A Cultural Adventure Through the Himalayas by Robert Twigger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with this challenge. Looks like a good one. Got me curious about Lepore's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very readable and I'm on chapter four already, though it'll still take me a very long time to get through it all!

      Delete
  3. I found The Woman's Hour absolutely fascinating. And it made me even happier when I recently voted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Silk Roads sounds good. My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/11/14/nonfiction-november-2018-expert-on-books-on-books/

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these sound really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked The Women's Hour, it was very readable and gave a book background on something I should have know more about already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted a really good history on the U.S. women's vote after I watched Iron Jawed Angels and bawled through the whole thing.

      Delete
  7. Great list! I loved The Unwomanly Face of War and I'd particularly like to get to The Women's Hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got The Unwomanly Face of War from your blog last year! I've read the first two chapters and look forward to more soon.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.