Saturday, September 8, 2018

Mini Book Reviews


Dark Places by Gillian Flynn:

I enjoyed this one a lot better than the movie. Do not see that awful movie. It was like a bad Lifetime movie...

I didn't like the storyline as much as her other two books. Libby isn't a great person; she's been through a lot after being the only survivor of the slaughter of her family along with her brother who's been convicted of that slaughter.

The plot gets pretty convoluted toward the end. Where it all just kind of happens and we're still kind of wondering at all the coincidences that would have had to play out that night...

But I enjoyed the character development. Libby is messed up and rightfully so. Her brother Ben is no picnic even after all these years in prison. Everyone's messy and real. The plots of Flynn's books are truly out there but her world-building and characters are top-notch, which is why I'll continue to read her books.


Wishtree by Katherine Applegate:

I loved reading this sweet book about a tree and her friends that live in her branches and the humans she's trying to take care of. It's a great discussion books on remembering our history and sharing our love with other living things. It's a wonderful story and I enjoyed reading it aloud with G.


The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas:

I'm really into mysteries right now--good mysteries, and Kara Thomas delivered. I loved seeing the perspectives of the dead sister that year she died and what led up to it--we get small pieces from both timelines in order to put it all together. The characters are not perfect; they're messy and stupid and yet we still care and want to know what happens. One of the better young adult authors out there right now. I'm reading Thomas' previous book The Darkest Corners right now and it's not disappointing either.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't read that Flynn yet. I've read a few by her, but think she may be to dark for me to love. I appreciate the storytelling though. I need Wishtree just so I can display that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is super dark but I kind of love that about her female characters but sometimes the plot gets lost along the way. She's not my favorite but I do enjoy them overall.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.