Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday--Favorite Books of 2017

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

It's that time of year again....time to cull the list of favorite reads from 2017. I read a lot of wonderful books this year.  Here they are in no particular order:


1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Fantastic writing and research and I loved the humanity as we met all of Ms. Lacks family.


2. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. The best book and letting you feel what it might actually be like to be clinically and severely depressed. Hits you in the gut.


3. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I listened to this. It was a heart-wrenching story. Starr and her family stick with you. They make you think. Beautiful and much needed story.


4. Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay. Her stories are visceral but necessary. No one can make me feel all the feels quite like Gay. Anyone who thinks it's still OK to fat shame needs to read this. Boom.


5. The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog by Adam Gidwitz. It's a beautifully told story about three children (from different backgrounds) in the early 1200s making their way through France and hiding from the King!


6. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel. She writes a beautiful memoir about her father while trying to understand him and deal with his death.


7. Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathon Allen. This was a fascinating insider's look on how Clinton ran her campaign and how she really messed up. It was sad but a necessary read.


8. The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp. This was a wacky and well-written story about well, the last days of Jack Sparks! It's horrifying and funny all at the same time and I just loved it!


9. We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates. So powerful. Coates reflects over the eight years President Obama was in office. It is a tragedy.


10. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie. There are no proper words from me about how beautiful and poignant this memoir is. Listen to it. It brought me to tears.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of the books on your list this week. Some of them will be added to my ever growing reading wishlist.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add so many too after I read about all the good ones from fellow book bloggers. Glad you had a great reading year! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks like you read MANY powerful books this year. That's awesome. The Hate U Give is one of the books I should have read this year but still haven't. However, I haven't heard a single soul not LOVING it, and I have no doubt that I should read it and enjoy as well. I love the spotlight it's been getting, and all of the themes it touches upon interest me a lot. I shouldn't postpone it anymore! IT IS GETTING DONE!

    Here's my TTT: https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/12/Blogmas-Day-12-Top-17-Books-of-2017

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a really great batch of books this year! I hope you enjoy The Hate U Give. It really is a powerful book. Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. I've only read one of them! Adding the rest to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment on this before but I see it never took. Having an issue commenting on a few blogs not just yours :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.