Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudiaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun! (Don’t forget to leave a link in your comment if you’re participating).

From Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman

1. TREMOLO: p. 49 "I'd forgotten that tremolo of expectation produced by a tiny forest of sprouts."
A tremulous or vibrating effect produced on certain instruments and in the human voice, as to express emotion.
ORIGIN: 1715–25; From Latin tremulus.

From Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama

1. SARONGS: p. 28 "...wizened brown women in faded brown sarongs stacked straw baskets
high with ripening fruit..."

A loose-fitting skirt-like garment formed by wrapping a strip of cloth around the lower part of the body, worn by both men and women in the Malay Archipelago and certain islands of the Pacific Ocean.

From the essay Nature by Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. CONNATE: p. 12 "...I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages."

Associated in birth or origin.

ORIGIN: 1635–45 from Latin connātu

1 comment:

  1. You found great words! I suspected tremolo had something to do with music, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.