Saturday, May 14, 2022

Week-In-Review: Happy May!

G's surgery was the last of the day and was pushed back two hours due to an anesthesia machine breaking...needless to say, it was a very long day at the hospital. And the surgery ended up being a bit more intense as well so more recovery time than expected. There was also a difficulty in find an open pharmacy after hours and the on-call surgeon forgot to send one of the medicines into the said pharmacy...so yeah, it was a very long day.  But he has been a trooper and dealing with the pain and discomfort with humor and a good attitude! Looks like everything is healing up normally as well.

2022-04-28 17.56.53-edit
G waiting for surgery while playing video games

Mother's Day was really relaxing. G made me a heart treasure map where I had to find little heart notes that led me to the big Heart Note/letter for me. It was very sweet. Breakfast by the DH and G made me coffee. DH and I caught up on some TV and then we headed out for delicious sushi for dinner. I cannot complain...well, the weather was terrible but that's Spring in Utah for you. I even made some loaf cake that turned out delicious. Super simple and yummy.


2022-05-08 13.56.41
My first loaf cake and it was yummy!

2022-05-08 13.18.03
The spring trees are so pretty this time of year!

We're heading into the home stretch for G's last weeks of 7th grade! I can't believe he's almost done. He went on a couple of field trips this week and it was a much-needed break for him at school.

This weekend we're heading down to my mom's house to celebrate Mother's Day a week late but better late than never! We've also been doing a ton of spring cleaning and repairs. We even installed a new kitchen faucet. It's so nice. Never thought I'd say that about a kitchen faucet.

I'm planting a few flowers in pots as well this evening. I should have pics up for those next week. I hope I don't kill them too quickly!😬 May all your plantings go well!

Currently Reading 

Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker

Free Speech: A History from Socrates to Social Media by Jacob Mchangama




Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind
 by Judson Brewer

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

The Icepick Surgeon: Murder, Fraud, Sabotage, Piracy, and Other Dastardly Deeds Perpetrated in the Name of Science by Sean Kean

The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse #8) by James S.A. Correy

Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava#1) by Roshani Chokshi-- This is a reread with G. We got behind on this series so we are rereading and then catching up!

Read


Persepolis Rising
(The Expanse #7) by James S.A. Correy/ 2017 / 608 Pages / Paperback / Sci-fi

My Thoughts: 

This one takes place 30 years after number six! It sets off the final trilogy of the series and it's good. I'll be sad once I'm done with all nine! Definitely future rereadings.


Six Crimson Cranes
 by Elizabeth Lim/ 2021/ 464 Pages/ Hardcover/ Own/Fantasy, Young Adult

My Thoughts:

Japanese folklore and myth take center-stage in this fantasy novel. I read this one out loud to G and we both really enjoyed the challenges, characters, and intrigue. There will be at least one more to finish this off. There's even a bit of romance. G didn't seem to mind so I'll take the win!


Movies Watched:


Unmask the truth

The Batman (2022). Directed by Matt Reeves. Starring: Robert Pattinson and Zoe Kravitz

My Thoughts:

I'll be brutally honest, I did not like this movie. Emo Batman did not work for me. The Bat and the Cat; I did not like the sound of that.

How far would you go to be remembered?

Jamie Marks Is Dead
(2014). Directed by Carter Smith. Starring: Morgan Saylor, Noah Silver, and Cameron Monaghan.

My Thoughts:

I think this one premiered at Sundance back in 2013 or 2014. So it's a fun little horror indie. It's gems like this one that make me happy I have a Shudder subscription.

Jamie Marks is found in the woods. Gracie and Adam start to see his ghost. Gracie decides to have nothing to do with him but Adam feels like he can help him move on somehow, especially since he didn't notice him much when he was alive. But paying attention to ghosts and their troubles comes with a cost. Brilliant storytelling. Lots of layers here. One worth a rewatch. And it's not scary per se. Really a coming of age story told with ghosts...

It's also based off of the book "One for Sorrow" by Christopher Barzak from 2007. I'd like to read it soon and see how they differ.

Evil only a mother could love

The Twin (2022). Directed by Taneli Mustonen. Starring: Teresa Palmer and Steven Cree

My Thoughts:

It's a mess. Tries to pull a provocative twist which doesn't make any sense. Not my favorite but I don't necessarily regret those 105 minutes...

Nothing is random

Coherence
(2013). Directed by James Byrkit. Starring: Emily Baldoni, Maury Sterling, Nicholas Brendon.

My Thoughts:

Now this was a weird and creepy, what the hell is going on sci-fi movie! A little indie gem that came out a few years ago. I didn't even realize it had Xander from "Buffy" until I started watching it! 

Weird stuff starts happening to a group of friends at a dinner party as a comet passes by Earth. And I mean really weird stuff. Like pay attention to all the details type stuff. This one is a must-see again to see if I can figure it out...My brain is still hurting from this one!

And a shout out to Friday the 13th. I rewatched it, Friday the 13th, with a friend who had never seen it before! It was so fun.

TV Watched:

Finished up Star Trek: Picard on Paramount+. Started watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, which is pretty fun. They're going back to the one and done episode arcs like the Treks of old. So yeah, really digging the new series with Christopher Pike, Spock, and Uhura.

Watching Under the Banner of Heaven on Hulu. I read the book a few years ago and am really enjoying the dramatized version of it. This one happened in my neck of the woods. 

And of course, the NBA Playoffs...basketball all the time right now.



Joining up with Deb from Readerbuzz and her Sunday Salon.

21 comments:

  1. Wishing G a good recovery from surgery -- that sounds very difficult and stressful.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surgery and recovering from it are never fun. Hope G continues to do well. And enjoy the belated Mother's Day with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He's healing up and we had a good time with my mom.

      Delete
  3. Hope the recovery goes well, what an ordeal at the hospital! Not a fan of the Batman series but I did like the Picard series very much. We recently watched seasn one of residnet Alien with Alan Tudyk.

    So cute about the heart treasure map!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope G recovers quickly and completely from surgery. It sounds like G really knows how to make a mom feel loved.

    The Warmth of Other Suns is about a time of history I had never heard about, so it was fascinating to me. The Once and Future King surprised me; it is a great story of adventure, I thought.

    I haven't seen a movie in...well, literally, years. I need to remedy that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on some movies I might need to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm over halfway done with The Warmth of Other Suns. She's an amazing writer and I love listening to it. The narrator does a wonderful job as well. It almost feels like fiction.

      I'm having a harder time getting into the Once and Future King. I was supposed to be done at the end May but I'll be pushing it to get it done this summer. But I do find it fascinating and quirky just not my usual kind of read.

      I grew up on movies and they've been a big part of my life. Love sitting down with the family or friends and watching a good one. I hope you find one soon that you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Oh man...surgery is stressful enough without those added hassles! Glad everyone got through it and that G is on the mend.

    Your mother's day sounds nice with the treasure map, breakfast and sushi!

    Your cake looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great Mother's Day. Love just spending it with my boys. And G is on the mend!

      Delete
  6. Nobody needs all that added stress on surgery day - ugh! Glad G is on the mend now.

    The Warmth of Other Suns was a favorite last year. Such an interesting read and a topic I knew nothing about! I've got Caste on my tbr list now.

    It sounds like you had a perfect Mother's Day. Hope you enjoy the celebration with your mom today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying The Warmth of the Other Suns. Over halfway and should finish soon. The audiobook is fantastic! Caste is also on my list.

      We had a good visit. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. I hope G continues to improve and you have a great Mother's Day celebration! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that surgery day sounds terrible ... like the hospital fell apart that day. You guys need a break. I hope G is recovering & healing. I probably should read Under the Banner of Heaven ... We don't get Hulu here in Canada so I won't be able to see it. But it seems like a weird story. Have a good week. Love your photo of the spring trees. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a couple small trips planned this summer. Looking forward to the break!
      That is so weird Hulu isn't in Canada. I looked it up and it said something about not getting the streaming rights into Canada. So maybe a government thing. So interesting. It is a sad and tragic story. Krakauer is a good writer. But yeah not for the faint of heart.
      Spring has definitely sprung here. But it's starting to get too hot already. Spring does not last too long here.

      Delete
  9. Everone who has read it admires The Warmth of Many Suns. What are your thoughts? Sorry to hear about the delay for the surgery. I'm surprised the meds weren't organized by the doctors ahead of time. Just what one wants to do after surgery is scurry around looking for an open pharmacy. My Sunday Salon post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over halfway through Warmth of Other Suns and it's so good. She's a fantastic writer and the audiobook is amazing too.
      It was a mess but so glad we were able to get it all figured out! Whew. That was a day and night...

      Delete
  10. I hope the recovery is quick and that was some surgery day! We liked the first season of Picard and I hope our library will get the next one. Recently we enjoyed season 1 of Resident Alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resident Alien has been on my list for awhile. I love Alan Tudyk.

      Delete
  11. I'm wishing G a speedy recovery. I want to see Strange New Worlds. It looks so good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Really enjoying Strange New Worlds!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.