Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Mini Book Reviews: Adulthood Rites, Imago...


Adulthood Rites (#2 Xenogenesis) by Octavia Butler
Published: 1988 by Aspect
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopia
Format: Kindle, 277 Pages, Own

Publisher's Summary:

In this sequel to Dawn, Lilith Iyapo has given birth to what looks like a normal human boy named Akin. But Akin actually has five parents: a male and female human, a male and female Oankali, and a sexless Ooloi. The Oankali and Ooloi are part of an alien race that rescued humanity from a devastating nuclear war, but the price they exact is a high one the aliens are compelled to genetically merge their species with other races, drastically altering both in the process.

On a rehabilitated Earth, this "new" race is emerging through human/Oankali/Ooloi mating, but there are also "pure" humans who choose to resist the aliens and the salvation they offer.These resisters are sterilized by the Ooloi so that they cannot reproduce the genetic defect that drives humanity to destroy itself, but otherwise they are left alone (unless they become violent).

When the resisters kidnap young Akin, the Oankali choose to leave the child with his captors, for he the most "human" of the Oankali children will decide whether the resisters should be given back their fertility and freedom, even though they will only destroy themselves again.

This is the second volume in Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series, a powerful tale of alien existence.

My Thoughts:

I loved the world-building and the philosophy behind this series. It's a way to explore what makes us human and who deserves to be treated as such. I enjoyed Akin's journey as he struggles to understand humans and the Oankali and how he fits into this new society.


Imago (#3 Xenogenesis) by Octavia Butler
Published: 1989 by Aspect
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopia
Format: Kindle, 224 Pages, Own

Publisher's Summary:

The stunning conclusion to a postapocalyptic trilogy about an alien species merging with humans—from “one of science fiction’s finest writers” (TheNew York Times).
Human and Oankali have been mating since the aliens first came to Earth to rescue the few survivors of an annihilating nuclear war. The Oankali began a massive breeding project, guided by the ooloi, a sexless subspecies capable of manipulating DNA, in the hope of eventually creating a perfect starfaring race. Jodahs is supposed to be just another hybrid of human and Oankali, but as he begins his transformation to adulthood he finds himself becoming ooloi—the first ever born to a human mother. As his body changes, Jodahs develops the ability to shapeshift, manipulate matter, and cure or create disease at will. If this frightened young man is able to master his new identity, Jodahs could prove the savior of what’s left of mankind. Or, if he is not careful, he could become a plague that will destroy this new race once and for all.

My Thoughts:

A fantastic conclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed Butler's thoughtful story on whether humanity can change and if not, whether or not we're worth saving...


Stranger Planet by Nathan W. Pyle
Published: June 16th, 2020 by Morrow Gift
Genre: Humor, Graphic Novel
Format: Ebook, 144 Pages, Scribd

Publisher's Summary:

In this eagerly awaited sequel, Nathan takes us back to his charming and instantly recognizable planet colored in bright pinks, blues, greens, and purples, providing more escapades, jokes, and p h r a s e s.

Nathan mixes his most popular Instagram comics with more than thirty original works created exclusively for this second volume to explore four major topics: traditions, nature, emotions, and knowledge. He inducts new and longtime fans into a strangely familiar world and its culture, from “cohesion” (marriage) to “mild poison” (alcohol) to the full lyrics to “The Small Eight-Legged Creature” (sung to the tune of The Itsy-Bitsy Spider).

Bright, colorful, and whimsical—yet charmingly familiar—Stranger Planet is out-of-this-world fun.

My Thoughts:

So funny!!! If you haven't read the first in the series go check it out. It's just such a great look at the weirdness that is humanity! And the second one is not any different. He'll never run out of things to make fun!


The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Published: first published in 1844
Genre: Action/Adventure
Format: Ebook, 1276 Pages, Scribd

Publisher's Summary:

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantes is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas’ epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s.

My Thoughts:

I was surprised at how lively and fun the book was! I was expecting it to be a bit more droll like Les Mis...I'd call this a French Soap Opera! 

The thing that stuck out most with me is how much Dumas' ties Dantes' revenge to God's Wrath aka Vigilante Justice that's sanctioned by God. Not until the end does he question even a little bit about what he has done as part of his revenge. There are a couple of casualties that he did not plan along the way. But he makes it up by helping others along the way...I like that twist. Usually it's "revenge is a dish best served cold." And how revenge truly never works. Which I think is mostly true. But yeah it was just fun to see this side of it. Fun escapism. The baddies get their just desserts!

There is also a theme of memories and remembrance throughout the book. Of course, Dantes remembers; he is exacting his revenge slowly and carefully. The ones who are his friends ponder and remember their past and remember him. The enemies are the ones who only remember once the "guillotine" has dropped.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading it and glad I finally took the time to do so this year!

I also recently watched the movie done in the early 2000s...It was OK. But they switched it up and used the whole "revenge is a dish best served cold" idea. Irritated me. They took out key characters and completely changed the ending. But what do you do when you only have 2.5 hours to get in a 1200+ book! I'd like to see a limited series done.

*Read for Back to the Classics challenge and The Classics Club challenge


6 comments:

  1. I want so much to read Count of Monte Cristo this year. I wish it had been a Chapter-a-Day readalong selection. Maybe another good excuse to read it will come along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty readable, I bet you could get it done in a month or two of dedicated reading time! I hope you get to it soon.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've never read Octavia Butler.

    I love stranger Planet. :)

    Monte cristo is on my shelf and your thoughts are making me want to go take it down and start it! I think a mini series would be fabulous actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butler's Kindred and her Earthseed series are my favorites. I hope you get to her soon!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed by your Butler and Monte Cristo reading and you make me want to read the Dumas novel. I think I remember a little of the 1975 movie of Monte Cristo with Richard Chamberlain (!) ... I remember them digging through the prison walls ... and eventually escaping. It made a big impression on me .... of how wronged this man had been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that version is a fairly good one! A lot better than the 2003 one...I love his vigilante justice! I hope you get to it. It was surprising at how readable it was.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.