Friday, December 4, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: The Year of the Witching...


The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson
Published: July 21st, 2020 by Ace
Genre: Horror, Historical Fiction
Format: Hardcover, 368 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Immanuelle shouldn't even exist. Her mother's union with an outsider was considered blasphemy. Her father was killed at the stake before she was born and her mother died giving birth to her. She lives with her grandfather and his three wives and their children. Her religion is one of absolute obedience to the Prophet and disobedience is punished severely. The woods are strictly forbidden since that is where Lillith and her witches were cast out long ago in a great religious war. But Immanuelle is drawn to those woods and one night she enters them and soon after the plagues are unleashed. It's up to her to find out why and how to stop them. And through this all she begins to question her religious leaders and their intentions....

Fascinating story and world. I'd love to hear more about the world Immanuelle lives in. All that rich history of goddess and god magic and sorcery and visions is exciting and different. I really hope Henderson tells more stories in this world. I do feel the pacing was a bit off in some spots and some of the things that happen seemed a bit unrealistic or brushed over...but it's a small complaint. I can't wait to read more from Alexis Henderson. Fantastic world-building and characters. It was a fun and exciting spooky and feminist-leaning read for Halloween time.


The Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega
Published: April 7th, 2020 by Scholastic
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Paranormal
Format: Hardcover, 288 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

When Lucely and her best friend Syd accidentally cast a spell that summons malicious spirits they must join forces with Syd's with grandma Babbette, her cat Chunk, and Lucely's ancestor ghosts to stop them and save their town St. Augustine.

My son and I really enjoyed the mystery and friendship and folklore all on display here. Chunk was a favorite with both of us. Cutest fat kitty ever! And super helpful. I also really enjoyed Lucely and Syd's friendship. They were supportive and loyal and it felt really genuine. It's also a fun ghost story for Halloween time.


Wonderland by Zoje Stage
Published: July 14th, 2020 by Mulholland Books
Genre: Horror
Format: Hardcover, 354 Pages, Library
Rating: 3 stars

My Thoughts:

I really liked the storyline. The Bennett family is fleeing the New York City way of life to hunker down in the middle of nowhere where the Bennett patriarch will create his artistic masterpieces. But Orla misses everything about her old life where she was a ballet dancer until her injury. When they get to their house in the middle of the woods, everything starts to feel off. Strange weather occurs. Her nine-year-old daughter also feels something strange from a large tree in the back of their property. Even her husband starts to become obsessed with painting this tree. What's this strange force that has taken ahold of her family?

A great premise but the execution wasn't there for me. The story slogged in parts and I felt like one part of the book happened too quickly and didn't know where to go from there. The ending felt a bit rushed but overall it was satisfying. I liked it. It had a great atmosphere and mood and isolation about it that felt creepy. But overall, I didn't love it and wished the pacing was a bit better. I do now want to read her first novel "Baby Teeth," though. She's a great writer and look forward to more from her.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the report on these ... that Witching book cover is so fetching. Was it a scary enough read (for you)? Enjoy your weekend ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Witching wasn't necessarily horror creepy. But it was still a fun one. I hope you enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  2. Ghost Squad looks like a series? We just started the Bear Grylls series and Gage likes them. Now he's hooked on the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Ghost Squad has more books. It was published in April so I'm hoping she produces a few more. I think it would make a great book series and tv series too. I haven't heard of the Bear Grylls series. I'll have to check it out. Glad Gage enjoys the show!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.