Monday, November 23, 2020

Week-in-Review: November

It's been a slow month for doing much of anything other than trying to not get Covid and checking in on my parents and making sure they're OK. It's gotten really cold with a few sunny days thrown in. One snowy cold day we played games and drank hot chocolate.

We're staying in for Thanksgiving and I'm trying a lot of new things this year that I don't usually do. We usually head up to my sister's house for Thanksgiving and we only bring a few pies and maybe a side salad. So it's up to us to bake all the things but toned down since it's only three of us!

2020-11-08 17.55.29

Reading:


finished up 5 books since my last update: Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega, The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson, The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games by Ebony Elizabeth Thomas, How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi, and Autumn Light: Season of Fires and Farewells by Pico Iyers




I have started Barack Obama's book A Promised Land which I plan on reading for awhile to draw it out and make it never end...Wonderland by Zoje Stage. For November with G we started Blood on the River: James Town, 1607 by Elisa Carbone and 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving by Catherine O'Neill Grace and Margaret M. Bruchac.


I'm still reading A Velocity of Being: Letters to a Young Reader edited by Maria Popova with G. And I'm reading the fifth and final section in Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi. 

I'm taking my time with The Self-Driven Child by William Stixrud. There's a lot to digest and I don't want to miss anything. I'm hoping I'll be done by the end of the month cuz I've been slacking a lot.

Classics that I'm reading: Still working on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I'm enjoying taking my time here. It's been a long time and it's the perfect classic to read as the weather gets chilly and the holidays approach. Also, I just realized I had bought on the Kindle the annotated version. So I read a chapter at night with my physical book and then read the annotations the next day. It's been fun!

Philosophy: At the Existentialist Cafe: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir,  Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Others by Sarah Bakewell. We're getting closer to the end!

Listening to:


Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Podcasts: Sean Carroll's Mindscape


New Books Acquired: 




2020-11-18 14.35.31 






  Watching:

Movies:

We've been watching the Harry Potter movies over the last couple of weeks. We seem to gravitate towards rewatching them around Thanksgiving and then we settle in for The Lord of the Rings series during Winter break!


TV:                           



It's been Schitt's Creek, which I just finished this week, The Great British Baking Show, The Undoing, and with G we just started His Dark Materials since we just finished up the books.

Making: 

This week for Thanksgiving we're making(attempting) yeast butter rolls...I have never made them before so I am trying them early on Wednesday. It they don't turn out I have a huge bag of Rhodes frozen roll dough that I'll be using....yikes. Honey butter, garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, roast chicken with veggies. I'm making two cocktails for DH and me, G will have mulled cider and some Sprite. Snacks: a charcuterie board, and a relish tray. Dessert: A peanut butter cream cheese pie and a cream cheese pumpkin pie. I may make cookies too if I'm feeling energetic. Hopefully all turns out well this week....

Looking forward to Thanksgiving. I'll miss my family and friends this weekend. We usually do family on Thursday and a little Friendsgiving on Friday but of course, not this year. But we will make the best of it! I got a little Turkey and being thankful DIY project we'll be doing this weekend as well. So games, drinks, too much food, and lots of family time. I'm hoping all try to stay safe and that we don't end up with even more cases because of this weekend! I'm hoping to enjoy the weekend and be thankful for what we do have.

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon



13 comments:

  1. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving quietly here at home this year, and that’s okay. We’ve got a huge turkey that will provide meat for most of the rest of the next twelve months, I think, and I’ll do mashed potatoes and green beans and a pie and yeast rolls. We will think thankful thoughts.

    I am glad you remembered your annotated version of the book. I did that a couple of times, and it added so much to the reading of the classic.

    Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the Obama memoir. He is such a wonderful writer that I have high hopes. I’m also very interested in the Goodwin book.
    I have a tried-and-true yeast rolls recipe that my mother and my aunt Marie used for years, if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving quietly here at home this year, and that’s okay. We’ve got a huge turkey that will provide meat for most of the rest of the next twelve months, I think, and I’ll do mashed potatoes and green beans and a pie and yeast rolls. We will think thankful thoughts.

    I am glad you remembered your annotated version of the book. I did that a couple of times, and it added so much to the reading of the classic.

    Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the Obama memoir. He is such a wonderful writer that I have high hopes. I’m also very interested in the Goodwin book.
    I have a tried-and-true yeast rolls recipe that my mother and my aunt Marie used for years, if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may take you up on that recipe if mine don't turn out...I can't ever seem to get it to rise right. Thanks for the offer. I'm hoping they turn out! ha!

      I hope you have a lovely week.

      Delete
    2. My rolls turned out well! I had to ditch the first batch because I forgot the egg but the second batch turned out well and all said they were delicious. Whew!

      Delete
  3. We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving quiet this year too. That's fine with me as long as everyone stays safe. I loved Schitt's Creek and I want to watch The Undoing. Have a great week! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving and that you enjoy The Undoing!

      Delete
  4. Yay, sounds like you will have a wonderful feast. I know it will be different without others sigh - but at least you are being responsible & staying safe. I too hope to drag out the Obama book ... maybe just a few pages per day. I haven't started it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Have a Happy Holiday. & happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't wait for his next volume to come out! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  5. Avoiding Covid is what we do these days! At least we have books to get us through these trying times. I reread Little Women earlier this year, in conjunction with seeing the new movie, and liked it better than the first time I read it.

    Still haven't watched the final season of Schitt's Creek, but almost caught up with Best British Baking.

    Happy Holidays and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving Little Women. I read a chapter or two before bed almost every night. It'll take me another month or two but it's working well for me.

      I hope you love the last season of Schitt's Creek. So good. Happy holidays to you too!

      Delete
  6. Your reading amazes me. I am having trouble reading for myself. The past month has been terrible. And you always pick such great books for G. He's lucky to have such a literate and cool mom. We had my parents over for Thankgiving, but they are the only people in our bubble. We are lucky to have them. We just started Schitt's Creek, mostly one before we go to bed to end our days with a laugh. Stay healthy! I'm curious what you'll think about Obama's book. I've always been such a Michelle fan and I always gave him points for picking a strong woman, but I don't know if I warm to him as much as I do to her. That's not saying I wouldn't love to have him leading the way, just that I wonder if his book would sell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy the book just to see how he thought about various aspects of his presidency and how it all came together or not for him. I'm definitely more of a Michelle fan, for sure. But I do love them both. I'm definitely taking my time with reading his book. I think I'll probably reread Michelle's book next as well. Really enjoyed it.

      So glad you have your parents in your bubble. My parents have too many children and grandchildren living with them for that to be safe, unfortunately. I worry about them all the time contracting Covid.

      End of November and this week has been especially hard for me to get my own reading in. There's just so much work and planning during the holidays that it's a lot harder for me to get my own reading in. I hear ya. I hope you can find some time this month!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.