Friday, April 10, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: The Histories and The Subtle Knife


The Histories by Herodotus
Published: approximately 450 BCE, this edition January 30th, 2003 by Penguin Books
Genre: Non-fiction, Myth, History
Format: Paperback, 716 Pages, Own
Rating: 3 stars

Publisher's Summary:

One of the masterpieces of classical literature, the "Histories" describes how a small and quarrelsome band of Greek city states united to repel the might of the Persian empire. But while this epic struggle forms the core of his work, Herodotus' natural curiosity frequently gives rise to colorful digressions - a description of the natural wonders of Egypt; an account of European lake-dwellers; and far-fetched accounts of dog-headed men and gold-digging ants. With its kaleidoscopic blend of fact and legend, the "Histories" offers a compelling Greek view of the world of the fifth century BC.

My Thoughts:

I read parts of this originally when I was in college back in the day for my Greek History course. But I finally decided to read through the whole thing. It's hard to follow all the names and dates but it's a fascinating look at what Herodotus thought was important historically and thematically. He was a big proponent of looking at the divine hand of the gods in the Greeks' history so he seemed to play up that theme a lot.

I also noticed how crappy they treated their women. Lots of insults that were the worst insults ever were calling men "women" or that they fought like "women." If a woman did fight than she fought weirdly like a man and wasn't really a woman anymore. The more things change the more they stay the same, honestly.

I never have to read it again! Yay!


The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
Published: originally July 22nd, 1997 this edition November 13, 2001 by Alfred A. Knopf
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 326 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

Publisher's Summary:

Lost in a new world, Lyra finds Will--a boy on the run, a murderer--a worthy and welcome ally. For this is a world where soul-eating Specters stalk the streets and witches share the skies with troops of angels.
Each is searching--Lyra for the meaning of Dark Matter, Will for his missing father--but what they find instead is a deadly secret, a knife of untold power. And neither Lyra nor Will suspects how tightly their lives, their loves, their destinies are bound together . . . until they are split apart.

My Thoughts:

It's a very enjoyable second book, though it did drag a bit in the middle. I think it's harder to keep up with the middle in a trilogy. But not always. 

Who does one root for? Is Lord Asriel goodish, or just crazy, or deluded? We don't know and neither does Lyra or Will. So we are on their side wherever that may lead. And can Mrs. Coulter and her golden monkey die already? She's so deliciously evil.

*Read "The Histories" as part of the:



2 comments:

  1. I have not read Pullman's trilogy ... but I did read Herodotus in high school or college. As a history major I think it's required but it's been a long time and I don't remember it .... so I could reread it. It's admirable you picked it up again -- it's a lot about wars, fighting & the gods right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy His Dark Materials. He treats children and teens very intelligently. Nothing is dumbed down. It's been a great series to read with my son. I only picked up The Histories again to do a readalong with a fellow blogger. But it was fun to get the whole view. And yes to wars, fighting, and the gods! perfect summary!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.