Wednesday, October 3, 2018

September wrap-up and Week in Review

Where did September go? Well, I made it through 30 books in September! There were only 2 days where I used the books I had finished that day as my count. And I read a couple of tiny children's books when I was down to the wire and really tired at the end of the day. But overall, I felt I gave it a good go to spice it up and read some different things like memoirs, self-help and some kids selections.

Here's how I read:


graphic novels and comics: 10

children/juvenile/young adult books: 19

non-fiction: 16

mystery/thriller/horror: 5

fantasy: 5

My favorites of the month:


1. The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

2. Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce

3. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder

4. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

5. All of the March books by John Robert Lewis

6. The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

7. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

I think I could do it again next year as long as I kept the same idea and maybe even allow myself to finish 30 in September rather than one each day. Thanks to Stacy for starting the tradition and look forward to next year!

Another great week with Fall in the air! This last weekend DH's friend from Taiwan came in for some work training and stayed the weekend. So we took her out to a dueling piano bar called Keys on Main and the a beautiful Fall hike on Sunday morning!

2018-09-28 19.24.48


2018-09-29 21.57.23


download


Books Finished: See above! I did it! I done did my challenge like an adult.

Books I'm Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City: Magic, Murder, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. This is my third time starting the book and I can safely say I will definitely finish it soon! Scream All Night by Derek Milman. And I just started The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero. It reminds me a bit of The House of Leaves book by David Mitchell.

Books Acquired: Daughters of the Lake by Wendy Webb, Easy Soups from Scratch with Quick Breads to Match by Ivy Manning, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saez, Swing Time by Zadie Smith, and American Like Me by America Ferrera.

Listening to: The Changeling by Victor LaValle, the podcasts Spooked Season Two from Snap Judgement and Lore. I'm hoping to start NOS4A2 by Joe Hill this week too.

Watching: I watched Mandy, and am working on Maniac on Netflix and more horror movies to come this month!

Making: More crocheted f-bombs! I think I finally have a pattern that works well for me. I'm also working on some hats and a little crocheted Frankenstein's monster!

Looking Forward to: Finishing up the Halloween decor for the porch and the final touches on my costume. And we may hit Oktoberfest in our area on Sunday. One of the local breweries makes a pumpkin beer on nitro and it is fabulous. I've been wanting to get up there just for that!

4 comments:

  1. 30 books is absolutely amazing!! Great job!! I read Nimona and enjoyed it. It's cute, right?! Happy October, I follow your flickr now as Whatsik. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out the flickr feed too! Nimona was such a fun surprise!

      Delete
  2. Great wrap-up!! I need to read The Halloween Tree soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I hope you do too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.