Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My Reading Year 2016

Girlxoxo.com is hosting a month of faves #amonthoffaves2016 to recap the year of 2016. They've got different themes everyday all planned out so you can participate any time!

My list throughout the year usually consists of non-fiction and young adult or children's fiction. I try to throw in some literary fiction along the way and around the holidays I try a scary book or two and maybe a silly cozy mystery around Christmas.

How I Read: 10 on audiobook; 44 physical; 6 ebooks

17 non-fiction so far

25 young adult or children's books

15 literary fiction or adult fiction

1 cozy mystery

1 thriller

7 horror

10 fantasy

My favorites so far were Malcolm X: A life of Reinvention by Manning Marable. It's keen insight into a man we usually only get one narrative on. He's neither gushing nor overly negative. He presents the good, the bad, and the in-between.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. Such insight into the lives of black immigrants. She specifically focuses on Nigerians. Her tale is woven beautifully.

Best horror: Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and The Heart-shaped Box by John Hill.

Let the Right One In was haunting and real all at the same time. Good horror and good fiction rolled into one. The Heart-shaped Box was a great listen too. How do you get rid of an evil ghost who follows you everywhere and controls your perception of reality?

Best Young Adult: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira and Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier

Love Letters explores one girl's tragedy when her older sister dies. We see her after but the book explores her experience from before, during, and after her sister's death. And all through letters she writes to dead people like Kurt Kobain and Amy Winehouse, etc. Tragic and beautiful.

Ghosts also deals with death or at least impending death and what that means when we might lose those we love. It's also a cultural experience. We learn about the Day of the Dead and why it's celebrated. And family ties. All done through a graphic novel form. My son loved reading it with me.


1 comment:

  1. That's a great reading year! I need to read more non-fiction next year, for sure, but it seems like I get better every year. I did listen to Heart-Shaped Box too but didn't care for it as much as you. Probably because I'm not he horror lover you are :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.