Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday--All Time Faves Memoir/Biography Genre

The folks over at The Broke and the Bookish have an awesome weekly meme, Top Ten lists. Who doesn't love hearing about what others have loved in any and all genres?! This will be my first time participating and I'm excited to list my all-time favorite memoirs/biographies!



I know it's not Tuesday....but I'm only a day late so here we go:

Favorite Memoirs (in no particular order):


  • Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl. It's been a long time since I read this. But it's stuck with me. Such an amazing girl who was able to make the best of her situation. Even more tragic knowing her fate. It's a must read for anyone.

  • Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She's a beautiful writer. She's been through so much and continues to do so. Her struggle and redemption changed my worldview and am forever grateful.

  • Bossypants by Tina Fey. She started the funny and poignant memoirs by smart and sassy women, at least for me. One of my first audiobooks too. So so funny and so much to learn from her. I hope we hear from her in a memoir every ten years or so.

  • Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. This woman has been to Hell and back. Her insights are life-changing. I loved this book.

  • Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy by Sanjiv Bhattacharya. As a person who grew up Mormon and as someone who's fascinated by people this was an amazing book. A fair look into the underbelly of who and why theses people practice polygamy. 

  • El Deafo by Cece Bell. A beautifully written and drawn graphic novel based on the author's life. She became deaf from meningitis at a young age. She brings all of this to life in her graphic novel for kids. 

  • The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Also a graphic novel based on the author's life. Growing up during the Iran revolution. How it played out and how scary it all is. Made me think. A must read.

  • Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention. This biography blew me away. So many things I didn't know about Malcolm X. It's a fair treatment of all the flaws and all the good things too. It made me think about Malcolm X in a whole new way.

So not quite ten but it's the best highlights I've read in a long time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't even think to do memoirs/biography. I love memoirs and biographies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I look forward to seeing what your picks are!

      Delete
  2. Great Post! I can't believe I forgot to add The Diary of a Young Girl, to my Non Fiction/Memoir section!
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic and look forward to rereading it.

      Delete
  3. Great topic choice! Tina Fey's book was great. I would add Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. She is hilarious. Here's my list this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really enjoyed that one. That book was hilarious!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.