Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Weekend Outings: Antelope Island State Park

IMG_1758
There were a lot of these artsy bison
IMG_8360I like to get out on the weekends.


 Especially with summer drawing to a close, it's nice to make the effort to see the outdoors. Utah has many State and National Parks to choose from and all within a few hours' drive.

IMG_8413
an old washing machine
This weekend we headed up to Antelope Island, only 1.5 hours from our house. The island was first explored by white people in 1845. It was privately owned until 1981 when the state purchased it for a state park. The antelope are native to the island but the bison were brought in in the 1890s.

The geology has rock formations as old as ones found at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. My DH couldn't stop talking about all the stones and all the rocks!

IMG_8383

IMG_8417
a really large farm chair!
We headed up for a little hike to the top of Buffalo Hill. It got pretty toasty so we stopped after that hike and went on to the historic ranch a few miles down the island. Gabe loved all the old farm equipment. He kept asking questions about what this or that could have been used for and even came up with some interesting ideas for others!

I was born and raised in Utah and I had never been here! I'm so glad we decided to make the journey. We will be back for more hikes and more bison.

IMG_8385
a panoramic at the top of the hill

IMG_8428
we saw this bison as we were leaving

1 comment:

  1. It seems odd to put bison on an island but maybe it was as a food source? Or to protect some of them? Sounds like a fun trip. I love exploring the things around me that we just take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.