I only signed up for 2 challenges cuz I know how bad I am at completing these. But I didn't get either of them done again this year. My life took a different turn shortly after I signed up for my two.
Finish the series challenge...I did not finish one series this year even though I could have :( The next one was a non-fiction challenge...I said 20 and ended up with 19. So damn close but no cigar.
No official challenges for myself this year when it comes to reading. I may make up a few. There's Amazon's 100 books to read in a lifetime, Bitch Magazine's 100 books for young feminists, and 501 Book to Read in a Lifetime...So I still have a good list to work from. Plus all the series I can still finish this year!
I didn't even get my 75 books in for my Goodreads challenge...60 books. Not a bad show, though.
1. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black.
This was surprising. I figured it would be another trivial trope-filled vampire novel. Boring. It was trope-filled but with a purpose! It was funny and even had a creepy yet adorable vampire romance. Lots of blood and smarts. It was great!
2. Siege and Storm, Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
OK, I did finish a series. This one! Yay! The first book was only so-so for me when I read it two years ago but a friend convinced me to finish the series off. So glad I did. It was gripping and well-written.
3. Under the Never Sky series by Veronic Rossi
OK, another series finished. Also a great dystipian series.
4. Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
This was a great psychological thriller. Better than Gone Girl for me.
5. Pines by Blake Crouch
Also a fabulous thriller. I read this in one night. It's crazy!
This wasn't my best year for literary fiction. I read a few smart fiction books but they didn't stand out for me!
1. Yes Please by Amy Poehloer
Funny and interesting. She's a great writer too. It bogged down toward the end but overall fabulous!
Love has not been the main reason for marriage ever until after the industrial revolution. She takes us down history lane. Great work.
3. The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burke
This one was written for me. I loved it!
4. Secrets & Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy by Sanjiv Bhattacharya
A fascinating and yet disturbing look at various polygamous sects. He humanizes and tells their stories. Not all polygamists are the same. Great work.
5. NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson
I loved the interesting articles. These ideas were only introduced in individual chapters. Some have more studies behind them than others but in any case they were all thought-provoking.
This year hasn't been my best in posting or interacting well with my fellow bloggers. It's unfortunate and I hope to be better this next year, though don't we all. I still have some challenging times ahead and some big changes so I can't guarantee anything but look forward to trying.
I was not great at reviewing my movies at all this year. I still saw plenty but didn't put my thoughts down anywhere, unfortunately. I really hope to rectify that.
I saw 55 new to me movies this year! Thank you Netflix and Amazon!
2. Agora: The tragic history of the destruction of the Library of Alexandria and the murder of Hypatia. We were setback over 1000 years because of this. Just think of where we could be. Powerful.
3. Her: What's love? What makes us human? So many deep ideas in this amazing movie.
4. Philomena: This was a difficult one. Beautiful and oh so sad.
5. Stuck in Love: Just a big fat surprise of funniness and adorableness.
6. The Sapphires: Another sleeper hit for me. Can Chris O'Dowd do wrong?
7. Guardians of the Galaxy: I wasn't expecting much with this one and was really blown away by its sheer awesomeness!
8. How to Train Your Dragon 2: I cried. It was better than the first one!
9. Mockingjay Part 1: This was my favorite. It was better than its source. Lots of amazing action and story and strong women. Just a kick-ass film.
10. Veronica Mars the Movie: It wasn't the best; it could have been better but hey it was a Kickstarter project and I love Veronica Mars and it was great.
I may do a post on my least faves but for now this is good! I'm even getting this out before the new year! Yay me.