Friday, April 15, 2011

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

goodreads.com
Genre: young adult, fantasy, supernatural
FTC Disclosure: bought from Amazon.com
Published: 2009
Pages: 563
Content: mild language and violence.


Garcia and Stohl really opened up a new world with this series. I've been looking for a fun series to really sink my teeth into and this one is it. It's not the greatest but it's fun and different and has a rich storyline.

The story is told from Ethan's point of view...a boy's voice. Definitely different but I honestly didn't notice so his voice as a boy wasn't really distinct! Anyway, he lives in a small Southern town called Gatlin where everybody knows everyone and outsiders are just not welcome. That's where Lena comes in. She's the niece of the local crazy "Boo Radley." He's a recluse and the town hates him and thus hate her. But Ethan can't get her out of his mind because she's the girl he's been dreaming about for the past year and 2, she literally is in his head...telepathically. Strange things happen when she's around and Ethan eventually realizes that she is a Caster/witch.

This was just a fun story. I enjoyed their budding relationship. I enjoyed the mythology of the Caster world. I liked that there weren't any love triangles. Those really bug me right now and neither was a "bad boy" who treated the one they love like sh**. So it had all those things going for it.

Some of the bad things...sometimes the story dragged on a bit too long. Also, the essence of the story is like every other paranormal teen novel. We have one person who's some kind of supernatural being who loves a mortal human and somehow they can't be together...sigh.

But overall, a fun story and looking forward to the next in the series.


Rating: 4/5 Stars 

Other Covers:
Bulgarian
Catalan
Dutch and Flemish
French
German
Serbian
 Quite a few covers for this one. I had no idea! I really like the Serbian cover and the German cover. They give it a more personal feel. The French one, I don't get. That pic doesn't really have anything to do with the story. The Dutch/Flemish version feels like a throwback to the 70s...just does, don't know why! The Catalan cover is more like the American version but more bland. The Bulgarian one is mysterious. I like that one too. But my faves are the Serbian and German covers. What about you?

All cover pics were taken from goodreads.com.

3 comments:

  1. I like that the Serbian cover changes the spelling of Garcia. I don't know why, but that amuses me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last coer too. This is one YA series that I may check out since all of the reviews make it appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the different covers! Might have to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.