Sunday, August 28, 2022

Not Fall Yet...

That title is my hint to Mother Earth that it's time to get Fall into full throttle pronto. School starts when summer is barely half over. My mind immediately goes into Fall mode but it's not even close to Fall yet! But even though the temperature does not feel like it by the time September rolls around I am definitely drinking pumpkin spice lattes, baking breads, and reading all the horror, mystery, and thrillers I can get my hands on! And I may or may not start decorating my house with all things Halloween after Labor Day...

2022-08-16 20.02.02

G did start school at the beginning of last week. So two full weeks back into it! He is loving and hating it all at the same time. The dreaded PE is in session and he's been running the mile and doing lots of pushups and situps! It's good for him. And the getting up really early again is also not his favorite. But he's loving his classes and talking with his friends so yeah just about right with the loving and hating. 

He also had his first school dance of the year on Friday. He was unsure if he wanted to go because a couple of his friends weren't going. But he said he would still go and when we picked him up he was laughing with other friends and said he had a great time. Yay!

Another beautiful hike last week my hiking buddies...

2022-08-21 09.59.55

2022-08-21 09.59.24

My mother got Covid last week along with everyone else in the house but she's the one most vulnerable even after all the shots and boosters. They had to take her into the hospital to make sure she recovered on her own. Thank goodness she was only in there for a few days and the treatments went really well. We were able to visit all masked up. I am so grateful she is doing well and that everyone else in the household is also recovering. It's been a few days but everyone is still testing positive even without symptoms. It's amazing how long people can still test positive. Grateful for these small favors.

Posts this week:

2 book reviews on Sundial by Catriona Ward and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab.

Currently Reading 

I've been reading these almost all year but I am determined to finish them off eventually. I go through weeks where I'll read consistently and then weeks where I don't. Like I said one day...

Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress by Steven Pinker

Secret City: The Hidden History of Gay Washington by Jamie Kirchick

I'm always trying to read a parenting book or self-help book or two...

What Do You Say? How to Talk with Kids to Build Motivation, Stress Tolerance, and a Happy Home by William Stixrud and Ned Johnson

The Great Experiment: Why Diverse Democracies Fall Apart and How They Can Endure by Yascha Mounk

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by V.E. Schwab

I also just picked up The Middle Ages: A Graphic History by Eleanor Janega. It's hilarious and very informative and the cartoons are funny. I love history books make me laugh and keep me informed! 

And because spooky season is around the corner...The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher


How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question
by Michael Schur. I keep forgetting to put this in my posts. I've been reading/listening to this one since the start of the summer with my friend who lives out-of-state for our philosophy book club (of two). Schur created The Good Place and he shares all the moral philosophy he researched to create the TV show. The audiobook has basically the whole cast, too, reading various quotes, etc. It's fantastic. One of the best philosophy books I've read in a long time!

Read




Sundial
by Catriona Ward


A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab


Movies Watched:

There's always been something wrong with Esther

Orphan: First Kill 
(2022) Paramount+

My Thoughts:

If you enjoyed the first movie Orphan this will be a fun little prequel. Not great but fun.


No one just disappears.

Horror in the High Desert
(2021) on Amazon Prime

My Thoughts:

This is one of those fake documentary-type horrors/found-footage. It was made during the Covid lockdowns so it's super simple and a bit cheesy but I liked it. Kind of weird and creepy. Just what I was looking for at the time.


The dead shall inherit the earth.

Land of the Dead
(2005) watched on Shudder

My Thoughts:

This is the last in George Romero's zombie series. And it had Simon Baker from The Mentalist in it so I figured I would give it a try this weekend. Not bad. Stupid plot and the dialogue was even dumber but it was entertaining and the actors were pretty great. 

TV Watched:


I'm still watching Star Trek: TNG. Now season five! This season is really good. I forgot how many good ones they have. Like this is the first season with consistently good episodes. Well, some of the middle episodes are pretty ho-hum.

I finished off The Sandman on Netflix, which I really really enjoyed. Can't wait for the next season. And Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. I love this show. Can't wait til next season already. Seeing Martin Short and Steve Martin together again is just fantastic and it has been my little happy place this summer.


Joining up with Deb from Readerbuzz and her Sunday Salon.


15 comments:

  1. Ooh pumpkins spice lattes- it is getting to be that time, isn't it? Yay. And glad school started off well. I always had a love/ hate relationship wirth school lol- dreaded going but after you get there it's not always so bad. :)

    Glad your mother is okay. that's scary. And it is weird how long you can test positive even asymptomatic or recovering. Scary virus for sure.

    I kinda want to try Sandman, I didn't think it would be my thing maybe but I've been hearing raves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost that time!
      I hope you like Sandman. I do enjoy the mind of Neil Gaiman. Super creative.

      Delete
  2. We were sorry to watch the last episode of Murders in the Building for season two. I'm glad there will be a season three.

    It's good to hear that How to Be Perfect is so great on audio. I've just put in a request for it. There's, sadly, a long wait.

    I'm sorry your mom had to go into the hospital with Covid. That puts me on high alert. I've been pretty casual about my 95-year-old dad going around here and there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I dragged it out as long as I could...sad. But season three looks to be very interesting!
      You'll love How to Be Perfect! At least I hope you do. It'll be worth the wait.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear your mom had Covid. I hope everyone is doing well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me about 3 weeks after getting covid to feel back to normal. Hope you're better soon. Gotta check out Sandman soon. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really had a busy week! SO many books, things to do, people to take care of. Nice hiking photos.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hiking news and wish we had pretty places to hike here. Do you get seasons where you are? In north Florida it's pretty much hot and humid until it freezes for 3 weeks!
    Bummer about your mom and I hope she is on the road to recovery.
    Love Star Trek TNG! I have a puzzle of Star Trek cats and am working it now. See photo here:

    http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/2022/07/sunday-salon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the books of Star Trek cats but I would love to get my hands on the puzzle versions!

      Delete
    2. I saw your comment on my puzzle post and YES you need this puzzle! I had so much done with it then a real estate agent was cominig over cause we thought we'd be selling the house. So I put it up. I am back at it again and hope to get it done and posted once we return from a camping trip. I think it's on Amazon for a reasonable price.

      Delete
  7. So glad your mother is all right. How nerve-wracking to go into the hospital. And hard to believe your son has been back to school for 2 weeks already, man! School is back! Your mountains are so pretty there - I'm glad you're hiking a lot. So cool. This time of year is so nice. Your movies look spooky. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She is doing a lot better. I do love my Utah mountains. Our big hike is in two weeks. A bit nervous but I think we can do it!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.