Wednesday, May 19, 2021

MidMay Already?!

 I don't know where the time goes! I've been wanting to get a post up since Mother's Day and now it's almost two weeks since. And it may be two weeks by the time I get this up and posted....

Mother's Day was really nice and low-key. I made up a very yummy tres leches cake for my own mother the night before. My son and DH made me French toast, blueberry muffins, and bacon for breakfast. G even made me a homemade card. I wonder how long I'll get those? I'll keep them close because I know one day I either won't get a card or it'll be store bought...

We finally got G a new bike. He learned last year during the pandemic in the spring but it was too small and heavy. Now he's got a nice big boy bike and we've been going out once or twice a week with the beautiful weather. He's almost taller than me and his feet are bigger than mine! He'll probably outgrow me by the end of summer!

We finally got out our fire pit and invited some neighbors to sit with us. It was so nice. We burned lots of extra wood we had from building the ramp for my mother earlier this year. It was kind of like burning away all those winter blues and troubles.

2021-05-14 15.31.40

2021-05-14 22.07.29

2021-05-05 18.56.54


I thought I took more pics...but I didn't. Oh well. Such is life. But the buds on trees have been gorgeous. One of the things I love about Spring.

Since my last review post I've posted only three times:

Spring Into Horror Wrap-up

Review of Braiding Sweetgrass

Mini Book Reviews: Fiction

Reading Life:

It's been a bit slower this month with my reading...I just finished off The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives by William Stixrud and Ned Johnson. I've been reading it off and on for 6 months now! It's been really good but I've been digesting it in chunks. I highly recommend it for parents of teenagers and younger.

And I just started Mindset: The New Psychology of Success: How We Can Learn to Fulfill Our Potential by Carol Dweck.

I've been listening to World Travel: An Irreverent Guide by Anthony Bourdain and Laurie Woolever. Makes me miss Bourdain that much more. I'm loving his tidbits from the food and travels around the world. His brother reads his quotes. Highly recommend if you were a fan.

I'm still making my way through The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin, Dust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale Hurston, and with G The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

And I just started the sixth installment of the Dublin Murder Squad The Trespasser by Tana French. I just read an article from Lit Hub on some big themes in French's novels. Like what's a home and what owning one means...she dives into almost each book. So read with caution if you haven't read her books already. But it gave me a new appreciation on French and the books she writes.

I have plans to finish off her most recent book The Searcher right after The Trespasser and then I'll be all caught up on French! I'd also like to read through all of Octavia Butler's books this summer. I need to finish up her Xenogenesis series and then on to her Patternmaster series and The Fledgling. She has some short stories but I don't think I'll get to those this summer. 

Watching Life:

I've been enjoying Mare of Easttown on HBO starring Kate Winslet. Really great mystery with lots of red herrings!

I just started Call the Midwife and am loving it!

Enjoying NBA basketball. The playoffs have just started and my team is numero uno! Very excited.

Movies: Saint Maud (Indie horror, weird but worth a watch) on Amazon and Mitchells Vs. the Machines (Netflix), we really enjoyed this one as a family. The Woman in the Window on Netflix...not great but fun to watch, overall. The pacing was really off on it, though. The climax was a big letdown.

Making and Doing:

2021-05-03 23.41.40

I made a amigurumi crochet cat a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to make the whole lot and a few furniture items for them. I'll see how my collection comes along over the summer.

Made a new recipe bibimbap bowls last night! They were really good and hearty and healthy. I'll definitely be making those again!

Oh, and I bought flowers, a cherry tomato plant, and a jalapeno plant over the weekend! Hopefully they get established over the next week or so and do well! Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to:

G gets his Covid jab today (Wednesday)! He's nervous but we're both excited to have it done! Well, one more to go after today...

G is almost done with school. Next week is his last week. And what a whirlwind of having school done online all year due to a pandemic...It'll be nice to be done and to focus on other things this summer.

8 comments:

  1. It's firepit season again yay!

    I read the woman in the Window and kinda want to watch it, but yeah I've head some mixed things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good things for you to celebrate now. Getting the vaccine is fabulous. It's wonderful to be able to see people again. And lots of goodies for you for Mother's Day. You are right to keep the homemade for the future. It will always remind you of these happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be very sad when he is too grown up to make those cards for me but I enjoy them while I can!

      Delete
  3. Good for G -- the end of school & the end of the jabs soon! We are also liking Mare of Easttown ... and too bad that Woman in the Window wasn't better, ugh. I haven't seen it yet but I will lower my expectations. The blossoming trees look beautiful there. Hope you have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G responded well to the jab so I'm hoping the second one isn't too bad! fingers crossed! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the end of Mare of Easttown! Quite the twist.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.