Saturday, November 7, 2020

Week-in-Review: Biden Wins!

I haven't hardly written anything over the last two weeks but this morning I saw some light and figured it was time to celebrate! Biden wins! Celebrations all day on my end!!

Halloween went as well as we expected this year. Numbers continue to rise in my town, county, and state. No trick-or-treating but we had a bowl of candy and made sure we were masked and hand sanitized up! We only got a few well-known neighbors and their kids/teens. We ate chili, drank cider, and watched cheesy old horror movies!

  2020-10-31 16.59.58-1

Pirates were the agreed upon theme this year!

2020-10-30 16.18.58

The pumpkin almost got us...we're only missing a limb or two

2020-10-31 15.05.22

We even made cookies! So yummy!

2020-10-31 18.54.16

2020-10-31 19.45.35

I didn't actually see this but a friend said this was in her neighborhood! That is a big minion!

2020-11-01 14.38.10

G went with a cute kitty

2020-11-01 14.38.16-1

DH opted out of carving and went some nice stencil work. We'll be able to keep this around for November and Thanksgiving.


Reading:


finished up 4 books since my last update. Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen, Nightbooks by J.A. White, and Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia



I started The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson and Autumn Light: Season of Fire and Farewells by Pico Iyer



I'm still reading Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega and A Velocity of Being: Letters to a Young Reader edited by Maria Popova with G. And I'm reading the fourth section in Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi. We're discussing the third section tonight! I'm almost done with How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. One chapter left!

I'm taking my time with The Self-Driven Child by William Stixrud. There's a lot to digest and I don't want to miss anything. I was hoping end of October to be finished but I'm now shooting for mid-November.

Classics that I'm reading: Still working on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I'm enjoying taking my time here. It's been a long time and it's the perfect classic to read as the weather gets chilly and the holidays approach.

Philosophy: At the Existentialist Cafe: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir,  Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Others by Sarah Bakewell. 

Listening to:


I finished up my fourth book with Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. Fantastic story. Loved it.

New Books Acquired: 






Watching:

Movies:



We watched some fun horror movies together in the week leading into Halloween and Halloween night!


This was such a fun movie. G and I watched this together and he loved it. It has some great things to say about gentrification! So good.


G finally saw the classic of zombie horror! Hopefully he'll grow to appreciate it as time goes on.


G also watched most of the Japanese original Ringu. He didn't find it quite as scary as I did! I had a hard time sleeping. The original is so good and classic and just so freakin' scary. Loved it.


Such a classic! Mostly DH and I watched this while G hung out in his fort and ate candy. But hey he saw some of it.


We watch this almost every year. It's such a great movie. Creepy and good and visually stunning.


On my own I watched quite a few before the big Halloween night:


This was a fantastic movie on Shudder. Creepy and weird and different. The ending was a bit ambiguous but overall super fun and creepy.



This is a classic anthology. First time for me but I see why. A must-watch for horror fans.


Fantastic horror featuring the trauma of being a refugee and in a new country. It's a haunting meditation that sticks with you.


I watched this via Amazon Prime watch party with a friend and we had a great time chatting about this one. It was fun but a few too many plot holes to be rewatchable.


TV:                           


It's been Schitt's Creek, and election news, and the Great British Baking Show.

Making: 

We made cookies on Halloween. I made chili and cornbread. Drinks were mulled cider with shots of whiskey! Made for a very yummy Halloween.

Looking forward to Trump leaving the White House! And hoping for a smooth Interregnum.

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon



20 comments:

  1. Your Halloween looks like a real celebration that lasted weeks! How fun.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to make it as fun as we could despite the pandemic. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So much happening! I haven't been ableto concentrate on anything for weeks and homeschooling this week? Let's just say there was lots of government, election learning plus a comparison of how the 3 24 hour news stations covered the election. Back to regular programming next week :)

    Gage is now on season 3 of Stranger Things and loving it. I need to add some of these movies to our watch list, especially Coraline. Love the pirate them. You guys are looking good.

    Jason and I watched the first episode of Schitt's Creek this week and I can't wait for more.

    Take care. Hopefully, I can get my anxiety under control now and visit some onlinbe friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Stacy, that is a lot. Excellent homeschooling, I'd say. Especially comparing how the news networks cover the elections! Awesome!

      Glad Gage is enjoying Stranger Things. Gabe really likes it too. Coraline is so good; I hope you all enjoy it when you do watch it.

      Enjoy Schitt's Creek! It's been a stress-reliever these last couple of weeks.

      Do some self-care and I hope you can relax a bit more this week!

      Delete
  3. It is good news, isn't it? I feel relief. And hope, something I haven't felt in a long while. I love your pirate costumes! What a fun theme! And I love what you all did with the pumpkins! My daughter didn't go trick-or-treating this year either, but we did other stuff to make it fun for her.

    I hope you are enjoying your reading! I want to read A Year of Witching, and hope you enjoy it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good for sure! I'm just biting my nails over the interregnum. I don't think it'll be pretty. But one step at a time.

      I'm almost done with Year of Witching. It's really good and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

      Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  4. You had a busy Halloween! Glad you enjoyed it and the cookies look yummy. I signed myself up for a Christmas cookie exchange, gosh - don't know why or how I'm going to manage it!

    Believe it or not, but I have never seen Coraline... I have the book on one of my Audible credits and first want to listen to it.

    I see Schitt's Creek on the Netflix updates all the time, but haven't watched it yet. Maybe I should just try it!

    Hope you will have a good week, here's my The Sunday Post #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your Christmas cookie exchange! I've signed up for those in the past. It'll be a no this year but I'm hoping I can get back into those fun things for next year.

      I hope you get to read and watch Coraline soon. Both are great.

      Schitt's Creek is a great way to just unwind and laugh. It's been a lifesaver over the last couple of weeks.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. I'll never forget taking my little brother, 13, to see Night of the Living Dead at the movie theater. He begged us to sleep on the floor in our bedroom that night.

    Whew. The election is over. I hope so much that people will act responsibly here and start working together now that the victor has been declared. I need an end to all of this divisiveness.

    Last Witnesses sounds like a book I will enjoy. Happily it is at my library.

    I think I'd also like Reconstruction. I don't know much about that time. I'll have to keep looking for it.

    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night of the Living Dead is such a classic. Glad you were able to scare your little brother! lol

      Glad to see the election over but I worry about this interregnum...it's going to be dicey, unfortunately.

      I picked up some good deals on the Kindle. I hope you find the Reconstruction one. It looks like it's got some great first-hand accounts.

      Have a safe and healthy and great week too!

      Delete
  6. Wow that minion is huge! I’d love one in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun Halloween night for you. I love Schitt's Creek! I was late in finding this show, but I found it over the lockdown time and binged it. Great show!

    Thank you for your kind words on my blog about the loss of my cat. It's greatly appreciated.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lifesaver this fall, for sure.

      Thanks for stopping by and big hugs from me again over the loss of your sweet kitty.

      Delete
  8. It looks like you made the best of Halloween in the circumstances:)
    I’ll be interested to know what you think of Last Witnesses.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Halloween sounded pretty fabulous, some great movies Night of the Living Dead is a classic.

    I have The Last Resort by Susi Holliday on my tbrm too xxx

    Here is to a fab November, certainly been a good week

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to enjoy a lot more reading this month. It's been nice. I might have to dive into some mystery/thrillers this month. It feels like the right time.

      I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a fun Halloween to me! I love your costumes and your hungry pumpkin!

    The Reconstruction book would be interesting after reading Lies My Teacher Told Me.

    I read a lot of horror but can't watch much so Coraline is the only one of your movies that I've seen!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Reconstruction book looks really interesting since it contains a lot of firsthand accounts from that time.

      Horror can definitely be easier to read rather than watch. But I do love both!

      I hope you have a great week as well!

      Delete
  11. Great pics! Love the killer pumpkin ... what teeth! We should all have one huge party when #45 leaves the WH ... even if we have to force him out on Jan. 20. I'm already celebrating. We had only like 4 treat-or-treaters this year ... so now we're stuck with the candy which isn't too healthy but tastes good. Hope you are enjoying your scary books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta look at the positives too even when Trump refuses to be a decent human. We already mowed through our candy...yikes.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.