Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: Non-fiction: Too Much and Never Enough, The Dream of Reason, When Stars Are Scattered


Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L.  Trump

Published: July 14th, 2020 by Simon & Schuster
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir, Psychology
Format: Kindle, 236 Pages, Own
Rating: 3.5 stars

My Thoughts:

I really liked Mary Trump's analysis and her interactions with her uncle through her young years. But it wasn't as well-written as I would have liked. She repeats a lot of the same ideas throughout. I feel like it could've been an ever shorter book. But overall, I found her insights and her own interactions and that of her mother and father ever more disturbing. This is not a well family. And who Trump is and how he's become this way is more disturbing that I could imagine. It's definitely an important book to read and understand where we are today.


The Dream of Reason: A History of Western Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance by Anthony Gottlieb

Published: August 30th, 2016 by W.W. Norton Company
Genre: Nonfiction, History, Philosophy
Format: Paperback, 512 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Anthony Gottlieb takes us on a journey of Western philosophy from the Greeks all the way to the Renaissance. He's a great writer and most of the chapters were humorous and down-to-earth in layman's terms. I was fascinated how he brought their ideas and how others through time have morphed their ideas into their own. I never knew how it was quite done and his book allowed me to see those changes and ideas come together. Fascinating stuff. My friend and I had a great time reading this one together and discussing all the ideas. So if you are interested even a little bit in philosophy, I highly recommend Gottlieb's series. We'll be on to the next one soon.



When Stars Are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed
Published: April 14th, 2020 by Dial Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Juvenile, Memoir, Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback, 264 Pages, Library
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

Omar lives with his little brother Hassan and his guardian Fatuma in a refugee camp in Kenya. They had to flee Somalia after war broke out and his father was killed and they were separated from their mother. He goes into great detail about the struggles of daily life in the camp. From waiting in long lines for water every day to taking care of his brother with disabilities. It's hot and food is on short supply. They can't leave the camps because they are not Kenyan citizens and they can't return home because they'll be killed.

He eventually attends school, meets friends, stays true to his faith, and keeps hope alive that him and his brother will be able to relocate to the United States and find their mother. It takes a village and many other kids and teachers, a UN worker, especially, help along the way.

It's just heartbreaking. People are born, growup, and can die in a refugee camp. Eventually he and Hassan are relocated to Arizona and he's able to get help for Hassan and go to college. But so many don't get to.

4 comments:

  1. When Stars are Scattered sounds great.

    I know I should read the Trump book, but I just can't bear to read about him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a tough topic anytime but especially now. It's the only one I've read! I don't know if I can do more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty courageous that Mary Trump came out with her book ... I'm sure it's disturbing ... as it seems to be everyday with him ... I sort of agree I can't bear to read about him but glad you could vet it for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a tough read at times but quick and informative. I think one of the better ones because she's actually a halfway decent human being where some of these others coming out are by people who have been his loyal sycophants for decades.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.