Sunday, August 2, 2020

July Movie Reviews

Hamilton

Best play ever. This is one you just throw on whenever you need a pick me up or don't know what to watch! Watch the documentary on his hip-hop comedy troupe Freestyle Love Supreme on Hulu. 

Wonder Park

A cute movie that deals with grief. It's Inside Out lite.

The Vote

Powerful documentary on the biggest movement in history to demand the right to vote. It doesn't gloss over how white women refused to work with black women and tried to leave them behind.

Palm Springs

I highly enjoyed this new take on the repeating day. Samberg and Milioti have great chemistry and it was a much-needed break from reality.

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil

This was a surprisingly fun Basque movie. It's based on a Basque folk story and it was brilliantly executed! 

The Old Guard

I enjoyed this superhero movie. Lots of kick-ass characters. The plot was a bit derivative but overall a thoroughly enjoyable action movie.

Shirley

I loved this Gothic psychological drama based on a fictionalized story about Shirley Jackson and her life with her writer husband.

Devil's Gate

Was this a great movie? No. But it was entertaining. I enjoyed the twist.

Relic

This was a fantastic horror movie. It's a great metaphor for what it feels like as a loved one succumbs to Alzheimer's.

Offering to the Storm

This is the third and final installment in the Baztan trilogy. It's an original crime thriller series from Spain that takes place in Basque territory. It's so pretty but wow the plot is terrible. But you just can't look away from the train wreck.

Athlete A

I listened to the podcast that is basically this documentary. It's an awful thing to hear about but oh so necessary. How we fail our children due to money and prestige and reputation is disgusting. This is what we care about as a culture, winning over humanity. When we care about people first then we can see change. I don't know if I can ever watch Olympic women's gymnastics again until they are held accountable and I know their program has changed.

The Rental

This was a fun horror. It's not fantastic and the plot falls apart in the end but overall a great directorial debut for Dave Franco. This is the movie we need when we're fighting a pandemic and we need people to stay home! Don't leave your house.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you . There are some really good recommendations here. Being home, I'm always on the look out for something. Are they on Netflix, Prime or do you need to rent them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to rent the Rental and Relic but everything else was either on Hulu and Netflix. PBS has the Vote and Hamilton was Disney plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i should write these down. When I sit in front of Netflix I can never decide what I want to watch. I like your short reviews, too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it! I get burned out too, so I have to almost go in with what I want to watch and that's usually because I read about a recommendation or someone I know tells me about one! Decision burnout is a thing!

      Delete
  4. Perhaps I need that Palm Springs movie right about now. I could use a few laughs. Is that Shirley Jackson movie pretty decent? I still want to watch all of The Vote sometime. thx for these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the Shirley movie. It's different. But it's got a great Gothic, creepy vibe and it was just what I needed.

      Delete
  5. Ah Hamilton, I love it! The songs are so catchy!

    I’d like to see Palm Springs but I’ve not been able to find it on any of the usual suspects here in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find it soon! It's a fun movie especially for right now!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.